Thread: Bamboo Hard On Tools?

Bamboo Hard On Tools?

I'm getting a couple of bamboo boards from Rockler and I'm wondering if there are any issues machining the bamboo that I should be aware of?

Bamboo has one of the highest silica contents

Blog Entries
    It doesn't hurt carbide edges at all, but it does seem to dull steel quicker than most hardwoods. Not nearly as bad as the glue in plywood though. I don't hesitate to use a plane or chisel on it. When routing a cross grain edge, use a backer board at the end cause it like to tear off the last few millimeters.

I love the look of bamboo & don't mind working with it. Just watch out for the tiny slivers from a freshly cut edge. They're tiny, sharp & plentiful.

I also build bamboo fly rods and can verify that bamboo dulls plane blades with impunity.

I know a local gentleman who works with plyboo and says it's brutal on tooling. Let us know how it goes.

Erik
    Ex-SCM and Felder rep

12 years ago I had a Bamboo floor installed. It looked amazing. The floor guy said he'd never do it again. It dulled his tools, resisted sanding, scratched easily, and wouldn't take a stain to save your life. He lost his butt on the job. If I had it to do again, tried and true red oak flooring for me.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I know a local gentleman who works with plyboo and says it's brutal on tooling. Let us know how it goes.

Erik
    Ya...plyboo is what I'll be using. I only have to make a few cuts and I am using carbide blades, so I hope they will be fine.