Thread: Recommend a large bowl roughing gouge?

Blog Entries

Recommend a large bowl roughing gouge?

I'm looking for a larger bowl roughing gouge, preferably 3/4" or larger in an M42 steel.

Anyone have one they love?

Thanks!
    My continuing search for old tools- rusthunter dot com

Hard to beat Thompson Tools!

Agree with Thompson's tools. Can't go wrong.
    This is just my $0.02. I do have a 3/4" sorby bowl gouge, that's the flute size so it's almost an inch wide. What I notice is that yes you can take a wider, but shallower cut, so maybe i'm not removing more wood than my 5/8". I can stall my 2 hp Jet with the 5/8" gouge, because I can take a deeper cut. I can stall it with the 3/4" no problem. So, all of that means, just get a 5/8" and use that to rough and finish. Finishing with a 3/4" would be problematic........ Now if you have a 3 hp lathe, that may be a different situation. Not sure if I could stall a 3 hp lathe.
    My 5/8" V groove Thompson is my rougher of choice. It's super aggressive. That is what I would say to buy. cheaper than buying a 3/4" I would think. If he makes one. Haven't checked his site in a long time.

Blog Entries
    I have 3hp, 3ph, 6 pole motor running on a vfd. Pretty strong. Not sure I could stall, maybe slip the belt, but I havent yet.

another vote for thompson. I prefer the v-flute because it is more aggressive. If you insist on M42 consider Carter and Son. Their tools are nice too.

GlaserHiTec.com also makes a 3/4" parabolic flute bowl gouge. I have a Thompson 3/4" that is almost gone and I bought the Glaser to replace it. I really like a parabolic flute when cutting and I find it easier to sharpen, much better than the small pointy tip of a V-flute. Not trying to start an argument, it's all what you get used to. Carter and Son gouge is a parabolic flute too.

Another source, and they were the first to put the M42 tools on the market, is D Way tools. Excellent quality tools. I tried a 3/4 gouge a few times and didn't really like it. I am a weirdo though, I prefer a 1 inch scraper for my bowl roughing. As far as I am concerned, a far more efficient tool for roughing bowls. Look up my video 'Scary Scrapers'. I haven't met a lathe yet that I can't stall, American Beauty, or my Vic 240, or the big Oneway. If I do roughing with a gouge, the 5/8 is sufficient, I just take a thicker shaving.

robo hippy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Muller View Post
    I'm looking for a larger bowl roughing gouge, preferably 3/4" or larger in an M42 steel.

Anyone have one they love?

Thanks!

Curious if you've ever used that big of bowl gouge? I've turned up to 22" bowls and never used anything bigger than 1/2" gouge. I prefer to spend my money on curved or J tool rests to get the support. Too big of gouge and you will have to buy an option to sharpen it.

You are looking for 3/4" bar diameter bowl gouge, and not the European "across the flute" measurement? Do you have a preference amongst U, V, and parabolic?