Thread: Casters

Blog Entries

Casters

Anyone use these casters from Amazon? They are casters and leveling. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07FGVXMSR...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Sorry if links are not allowed. Cannot upload pics.
    Tim in Hill Country of Texas

Blog Entries
    Trying to post pic from MS Edge. Casters.jpg

Blog Entries
    BTW, thinking of using for tablesaw outfeed/assembly. Would leave a gap underneath is my only hesitation

I've looked these type of casters several times, but haven't sprung for a set yet.

I may be wrong, but looking at these, to use the caster feature, I would have to get down on my knees, in each corner to raise the foot to allow the caster work. And then repeat this crawling around, when setting them back down on the feet and performing the leveling process.

I'm also not sure how much mechanical leverage you get on that adjusting wheel when it's lifting a heavy cabinet full of tools.

This just seems like a lot of aggravation as I get older.

I just chose to use regular locking casters and make the top micro height adjustable from the top.

Buy some and let me know....

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    I've looked these type of casters several times, but haven't sprung for a set yet.

I may be wrong, but looking at these, to use the caster feature, I would have to get down on my knees, in each corner to raise the foot to allow the caster work. And then repeat this crawling around, when setting them back down on the feet and performing the leveling process.

I'm also not sure how much mechanical leverage you get on that adjusting wheel when it's lifting a heavy cabinet full of tools.

This just seems like a lot of aggravation as I get older.

I just chose to use regular locking casters and make the top micro height adjustable from the top.

Buy some and let me know....
    I have similar casters on my workbench (different brand). They are ideal for things that are moved infrequently and that need to be leveled and solid when not being moved, like a workbench. As Chris points out, when you want to move whatever they are attached to, you have to get down on the floor to back off the leveling feet so you can roll it. As Chris also points out, if the load is very heavy (like my workbench), you need a way to remove a enough weight to make the adjustment easy. You can turn the adjustment when it's fully loaded, but it requires some kind of tool, you can't just move it with your fingers when under load. I just use a lumber scrap to take a little weight off the foot and then it's easy to spin the adjustment.

So, for something like a bench they are great. If you don't anticipate moving your outfeed table often they would be fine. If you will move it a lot, you'd be better off with step down casters and leveling feet, or just regular casters if your floor is nice and flat.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I bought a set when I built a table for my “desk top” CNC. I forget the brand but they were ~ $50 each, delivered. They use a ratcheting mechanism rather than the wheel for raising & lowering. Looking around, there are many manufacture’s making them; I can’t speak to that particular brand’s quality.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Blog Entries
    I'll just speak to size. If your floor is very smooth and clean a 2" wheel will do fine. From the picture this is a rough copy of similar higher quality items that the patent must have run out on since there are a wide variety of makers now. The foot operated variation would catch my eye if I were looking.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 08-19-2020 at 12:57 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have leveling casters--different brand- on several machines. They work great for rolling the machine a foot or so away from the wall to use, then back when done. 21" BS, 20" planer, 12" jointer, PM 4224 lathe all are heavy enough that they stay put while in use unless I am milling bulky and heavy stock. It is a PITA to bend over and engage the "feet". When turning big--50#+ blanks the "feet" lowered tight to the floor there is lots of movement from the give/softness of the leveling caster. Takes a while to get the blank balanced before I can increase RPM. I plan to make a mobility system that lowers casters for moving and resets the metal "feet" on the floor for turning. The ease of moving the other machines is great if I don't need to lower the "feet". If the ratcheting versin work as advertised they would be a good choice. Good luck, JCB

Those look like knockoffs of the Zambus type casters. There are a number of folks who have posted about this style over the years, generally positively.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

There are Zambus casters on the 24" Centauro that I bought from Johnny Means. We rolled the saw over the pavement outside his shop on them, for more than 50 feet, and it was no problem. The rollers aren't large, but roll a lot easier than you would think such small wheels would. Really easily on smooth concrete. Don't know about these, but suspect it has something to do with whatever the Zambus wheels are made out of.

You do have to get down on the floor to lock them, but the machine is really secure once you lower the feet.

I dug up the info on the casters I used on my CNC table build - "Foot Master Swivel Plate Ratchet Leveling Caster GDR-60F"
    The ratcheting feature is nice but you still have to get down on your knees to use it. Not something I’d want to do very often. They are very stable in use. I have felt very little movement in the table, even with the gantry moving around at 200+ IPM.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

I live in the Uk and have a set of casters similar to the ones in the Amazon link but have a swivel plate
    I would echo the views of other posts

Three additional considerations I would add
    (1) Explore e bay , I found my casters at a very reasonable price
    (2) Look carefully at the load ratings for different caster options and remember the load rating may be for each caster
    (3) The casters are available with different attachment fittings

My casters have the Carrymaster logo and a swivel plate

Last edited by Brian Deakin; 08-21-2020 at 5:21 AM.

Is that 1,650lb capacity listed for all four of them together or each one individually? I know they normally lost weight capacity individually but I can’t see each one of these little 2” casters carrying that much weight. I could be wrong. I am in the process of building my own mobile bases for all of my machines and if these will handle that kind of weight then I would order a few sets for my heavier machines. At $36 for all four that is a sweet deal for a caster of this capacity and with those features. I have been trying casters from Harbor Freight (which are actually ok for the price) and several other companies.

I put four of these on my workbench which is pretty heavy. I rarely need to move the work bench but when I do these casters work OK. It is kind of a pain to get down on the floor and turn the adjusting wheels by hand. These casters are sturdy and should last a long time.