Thread: Aftermarket fence for Wadkin BGS 12

Aftermarket fence for Wadkin BGS 12

Hi! I recently bought a nice Wadkin Bursgreen BGS 12 sliding table saw. It's in pretty good shape, except for the fence. It's broken in a couple of places, and it's missing some pieces. I'm looking to replace it with something else, but as it's a sliding saw it restricts my choices. I've looked at the Incra fence, and while it looks great it requires me to have a lot more space to the right of the saw than I have at the moment. So my question is, do anyone have any advice on some aftermarket fence that will fit my saw?

Hi Niklas,
    Owning this saw qualifies you as an "Old Arn" lover so you may already be familiar with the OWWM (old wworking machine) forum. In a recent episode, Keith Rucker repairs worn guide keys for a Wadkins TS. He may be a resource for a repair, refurbish, replacement and generally interesting information on all types of old machinery.

Back in the day, Biesemeyer made a version of their wonderful fence to fit sliding tablesaws--but they're long gone. In addition to the excellent suggestion about OWWM, I'd imagine your best bet might be to trawl eBay, peruse UK woodworker sites, join the Felder Owners Group and otherwise look for cast-off fences from the various current and defunct makers of sliding tablesaws that could, with a little work, be made to fit your saw.

Have you looked at the VSCT euro fence design? It will ride on standard bies rails, and its a bit of a hybrid between a standard european fence and a biesemeyer fence. You could also just order something from SCMI/Felder and mount it to your machine. It wont be a plug and play option, but it shouldnt be too difficult to mount.

Are you referring to the rip fence or the fence on the sliding table? If you are referring to the fence on the sliding table I would just get some 80/20 aluminum extrusion and fabricate your own crosscut fence with an adjustable flip stop and then just add a stick on tape.