My compressor quit (Ingersoll Rand) and I determined the start capacitor was bad, it had went bad a few years ago also, so I got a new capacitor and put it on. When I turned it on, the motor vibrated and threw the breaker. I disconnected the belt so I was only trying to start the motor. It did the same thing, but after cycling it a couple of times on and off, it started to run as it should. I think the centrifugal switch was sticking closed and broke open. Took the motor apart and the contacts on the switch were pitted and burned. I ended up using some 1000 grit sandpaper to clean them up a litte. I know they are only plated and may not last long, but for now it seems to be working OK. Planning to replace the motor if I have any more problems. I attached a pic of the motor plate and the HP is listed as SPL. Trying to calculate the motor HP form the data plate, I think it is about 3HP. Motors, seem to be all over the place in price. I found a
Leeson
at Surplus Center that says it is a 5HP, but has the same SPL on the motor plate and seems to match up otherwise with this motor. My questions, 1. Does this look like a reasonable replacement, if not what would you recommend? What HP would you say the motor I have is? I looked, but couldn't find a replacement contact plate for the centrifugal switch, are they available anywhere?
motor plate2.JPG