Thread: PC Shop Vac Malfunctioning

PC Shop Vac Malfunctioning

I have the older Porter Cable 7814 (15 gallon) shop vac with Hepa filter. It has worked well for years. Today it started doing something odd: When I press the On/Off it will turn on for about 2 seconds, and then stop. To see if the motor was the problem I plugged my chop saw into the vac 110v port, and when the saw is on the vac turned on, and stayed on. So, I think it's a switch issue...has anyone ran into this problem...and more importantly, does anyone know how to change the on/off switch?
    Thanks in advance,
    Izzy

Switch is under the cover and a spring. Prys off , but it's finicky and can break.

Switch held in in by a set screw that's hard to reach.

And it might be the control board too.

Got switch cover off and spring out... don't see a set screw, or how the switch would come out without removing some part of plastic vac surrounding it... So, progress, but not quite there yet..... Thanks for the help!

Afraid I'm stuck at this point...Vac will only work with tool running in the "trigger" outlet...can't figure out how to get on/off (or micro) switch out...Any other thoughts from folks who have owned this vac?
    Thanks in advance...
    Izzy

Sorry I overlooked this earlier. I may have misled you unintentionally. The screw holds the microswitch for the receptacle cover. I believe the on/off switch is just a press fit into the socket.

Have you removed the top of the unit and the faceplate with the light and the receptacle ? That should make things a lot easier to access and work on.