Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What's your favorite contractor's saw?

+1 on the Bosch portable table saw. Light weight, accurate, and the base is user-friendly
    Regards,

Tom

I also had the Bosch 4100 for several years. It was a solid tool and I made some nice things with it. It, with the gravity rise stand, is about $600.

Exclamation Makita contractor table saw 2704

Makita contractor table saw 2704 is my choice. It is made in the USA and stays adjusted for years after initial setup. Light and precise. I am plenty glad with it and I recommend it.
    All the best.

Osvaldo.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    From context, you're interested in a portable saw, not a "contractors' style saw" which is larger and heavier.

If I really had to get one of those, it would be the Bosch with the telescoping stand.
    That's what I have for home use and my aching back loves the Gravity Rise stand. The fence is dead accurate and the motor surprisingly powerful. A minor drawback for cabinetry is the short arbor, just 3/8" dado's possible with the washer on.

However, if I were still pick-up trucking to job sites, I would eschew any saw with a built-in stand and choose one that a lone person can lift on and off the truck separate from the stand. That would be the DeWalt. The Bosch would be no picnic to push or pull up a ramp, either.

My favorite contractors saw is a Delta with a Unifence or Biesmeyer fence. My choice for a lightweight jobsite saw would be a Dewalt or possibly the Skil with the wormdrive motor. I just used one of the Milwaukee M18 cordless jobsite saws and it was very impressive. Lots of power,light enough to pick up and move to the work and a blade brake. When you shut it off it stops almost instantly,another benefit of battery technology.

From context, you're interested in a portable saw, not a "contractors' style saw" which is larger and heavier.

If I really had to get one of those, it would be the Bosch with the telescoping stand.
    Yes you’re correct Jim, I was referring to a portable job site saw, as opposed to a contractor’s saw. Sorry for the confusion.

Thanks for the feedback guys!
    ---Trudging the Road of Happy Destiny---

Quote Originally Posted by bill epstein View Post
    That's what I have for home use and my aching back loves the Gravity Rise stand. The fence is dead accurate and the motor surprisingly powerful. A minor drawback for cabinetry is the short arbor, just 3/8" dado's possible with the washer on.

However, if I were still pick-up trucking to job sites, I would eschew any saw with a built-in stand and choose one that a lone person can lift on and off the truck separate from the stand. That would be the DeWalt. The Bosch would be no picnic to push or pull up a ramp, either.

The reason that the Dewalts get picked over the Bosch by us is that while the Bosch stand is pretty cool, the whole saw when folded is bigger and heavier. The Dewalts we have (and the one the OP is referring to) have the built in stand. It's a much simpler design, lighter, and more stable on anything less than a flat floor. The Dewalt fence is also better. Currently our Bosch is down with a switch issue, no body seems very motivated to hurry and fix it.

The Delta contractor's saws were originally built for use within a new house construction. They were brought in without wings attached, set up in the middle of the largest room, with "down the hall" as an out feed table. Cabinets were built in place, with doors made from plywood, edged using a molding head. A lot of the trim was made with a molding head.Only the "door guy" owned a router. Door jamb stock was made inside the house. In the yard was a BIG DeWalt RAS, used for cutting the framing, esp. the rafters, floor joist, studs. At that time, circular saws weren't common. So any end cuts were made with hand saws. If there was a circular saw on job site it usually was a Skill 77, Rockwell, or B&D Sawcat. I remember the Rockwells having a grease cup on them.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    The Delta contractor's saws were originally built for use within a new house construction. They were brought in without wings attached, set up in the middle of the largest room, with "down the hall" as an out feed table. Cabinets were built in place, with doors made from plywood, edged using a molding head. A lot of the trim was made with a molding head.Only the "door guy" owned a router. Door jamb stock was made inside the house. In the yard was a BIG DeWalt RAS, used for cutting the framing, esp. the rafters, floor joist, studs. At that time, circular saws weren't common. So any end cuts were made with hand saws. If there was a circular saw on job site it usually was a Skill 77, Rockwell, or B&D Sawcat. I remember the Rockwells having a grease cup on them.
    That's a fun walk down memory lane Bruce! I still keep a Skil 77 in my pickup just in case that newfangled stuff quits and a big old Dewalt RAS in the shop

My two cents and I’ve owned them all.

Never had a issue with the rigid contractor or job site saw. Gave it away when I purchased a sawstop job site saw.

Stated with a craftsman job site saw and it was very light and what I’d call a pos. Moved to the rigid.

I never owned but used the old Bosch and the reacts and they are both very nice but large. If you taking your tools in and out everyday or even weekly it’s kinda annoying. Plus space in the van or truck and it’s a bit much. But as far as that class of saw goes it as nice as they get.

Then the little and medium desalts. These are my favorite all considered. I hate dewalt just because I’m a tool nerd and well dewalt is American and ever meat head contractor or homeowner thinks cuz it’s dewalt it must be good. And sadly my attitude aside it’s pretty much true. There is always nicer than dewalt but dewalt tools pretty much always work. Add to that like their airless nailers and they actually get a best in class. The little dewalt is slick. It’s powerful has a nice fence and is small enough to drag up on a roof if your doing a cedar roof or trimming out a dormer or something. It also doesn’t take up much room in the van and it’s not bitch to move around.

The sawstop is by far the nicest of them. I owned one and sold it as I’m done with site work. Kinda lie tattooing your throat you’ll neve get a real job again, sell your site tools and well pretty much the same thing.

The ridged was fine but I think they faded it out. The sawstop is slick but more than I want to deal with. The dewalt is the all a rounder and pretty much a winner regardless of everything else to consider.

If you do the type of work where you setup for a few weeks to a few months to a few years on a job at a time I’d have both the sawstop and the small dewalt.

I should add the Bosch as noted has a fence that kinda sucks. It also has aplastic crap base that under normal construction site use will take a beating. The one I used to use was pretty much I two pieces.
    Last edited by Patrick Walsh; 06-27-2020 at 3:07 PM.

I also have an "older" DELTA ..Generally, extremely good performance.
    .I added a riving knife, mobile base, built a sliding panel cutter, added a FOREST WW2 blade etc.
    99% of time, performed all tasks well.
    The newer ones do not have that same reputation.
    Finding one could be difficult...
    Jerry

We have switched over our company to pretty much all SawStop saws for the shop and field work. This was more of a business decision at the time because the added safety feature of the break eliminated potential risk. That said, I really like all of them except the job-site saw. The job-site SawStop is a good saw in every way except the motor is under powered in my opinion.

We added a contractors saw on the mobile base earlier this year. The fence is decent but not as good as the cabinet saws. We went with stamped steel table extensions rather than cast iron to keep it lighter. If you have a trailer one person can load it. If you need to use a truck bed it will take two people to load it.

We're only 6 months in or so, but it sees daily use. So far no one has complained about it.

I have a 9" Rockwell contractors saw that was in like new condition when I bought it after getting my house.

I like it because it is a little smaller then the 10" saws table wise and fits nicely in my small shop. Original fence needs checking when adjusting, but is always almost perfectly lined up, and I have a collection of Freud 9" saw blades that will cut most woods. The table is perfectly aligned at 90 and 45 degrees after spending some time with it.

Though heavy, and not as large as the 10" saws, I will regret selling it someday.

And I would buy another if I was a house builder.

Yup, what are you really looking for ?

Both the bosch and dewalt give acceptable cuts without much fuss. If you want lightweight, a small footprint, and easily portable - you're gonna have to accept plastic , aluminum , and universal motors. If you're willing to give up weight, size, portability and cost, then a real contractor saw will give you and induction motor with lots of torque, a cast iron table, and a generous size capacity.

Trouble is, those are difficult to find these days, especially new. I believe the only choices now are Delta, SawStop, and Powermatic.

non

anything less than a general cabinet saw and im out of my witts.

few times I was somewhere with a carpainter saws were painful, under powered, under weight and. Zero patience for waiting for a machine that cant keep up.