Thread: Air Filtration System sizing

Air Filtration System sizing

The Basement workshop is 34x34x7, and 2/3 to 3/4 of that square footage is actual woodworking workspace. 5 slider Basement windows and a Screen Door for the Bilco Door . That helps to provide fresh outside air. Got a couple of box fans that I also run to keep the air moving. Jet and Sears 650 CFM Dust Collectors. One Man workshop , only run one tool at a time Mostly the Lathe, Spindle Sander , Belt Sander , Band Saw , Miter Saw. Any clue as to how big of an Air Filtration System would be needed to handle that square footage , taking into account the outside air movement from the windows and screen door?

Assuming the majority of your "dust makers" are in the same general area of that very nice, large space, you may be able to get good results with a single, typical air filter setup, but likely need two to do the whole space, especially when it's closed up.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Assuming the majority of your "dust makers" are in the same general area of that very nice, large space, you may be able to get good results with a single, typical air filter setup, but likely need two to do the whole space, especially when it's closed up.
    Wish it was a detached Garage, instead of the Basement ! LOL The old overhead air filtration system was the Ridgid Canister . They don't them anymore, and the filters are near impossible to find. If I recall , the CFM on the Ridgid was around 230 CFM. ]

Looked at the WEN 3410 Air Filtration System. That is 3 speed, and has a CFM of 400 on high speed. About double what I had on the old Ridgid. The WEN is on sale right now.

The vast majority of the dust that gets kicked up in my shop, is from the Wood Lathe. I had the old Air filtration system hanging off the timber beams , about 2 feet forward and about 4 feet above where the Lathe is below. Maybe it was set in the right location, because that seems to be the perfect spot to hang the Air Filtration . All the dust in the air, got sucked up within 2 minutes.

Clarence, I was thinking along the lines of the typical air cleaner like the Jet or JDS that's about 750 CFM, if I'm not mistaken. Mine is an old JDS... Jet has a bigger one, but it would likely bang into your head because it's twice as "thick". So if you find you need more than one, two of the "regular" versions that most folks have would be the ticket. But honestly, I'd try one first to see how it does located near your major dust makers.
    --

Locatiion and climate? do you close the windows so no air flow comes in or open them up all the way when ever your are in the shop.
    Bil lD

In the Spring , Summer and Fall, the Basement windows are left open. Bilco Door is open when working in the Basement during those Months. In Winter, the Basement is closed up tight. Climate?? LOTS of Lake Effect Snow !! Got down to -26 Degrees one night this past Winter !

My guess is that you will need two, but I would get one and see. The best approach would be to get one and check the air quality with a particle meter like the Dylos.

If you need two, I would get two of the smaller Jets (or equivalent) and avoid the larger one. Yes it works better, but is very loud, and frankly two smaller ones would get the job done just fine. The difference in flow at high isn't that great.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

For that size space, if two are needed to clear the air, it sets up the ability to use the two to create efficient airflow around the shop by how they are arranged, so I will also agree, as I previously mentioned, that the larger unit isn't the best solution as Alan says.
    --