Thread: Swing Arm Lamps

Swing Arm Lamps

Here are some pictures of two lamps I made for my kids' rooms. They were inspired by a similar design I saw in Fine Woodworking last year. The one with the straight arm I made several months ago, in Oak. The newer one I made with cherry, including a bent lamination for the curved swing arm. The bent lamination was the first such laminationI've tried - came out pretty well! 1/8" thick strips of cherry, an MDF mold, and a whole lot of glue... I machined a tenon on one end of the lamination and a mortise in the base with my pantorouter. The hollow wooden hinge pins I made with my Router Boss with a Z-axis drive motor and chuck by Sherline, Inc.

The bases are screwed into wall studs and have a sliding dovetail to accept the lamp.

SB

lamp 6.jpglamp 5.jpglamp 4.jpglamp 2.jpgLamp 1.jpg32DF3CA5-75C9-472A-ADFC-A22B4FB594C7.jpeg

Nice! Where did you source the actual light, switch, and cord? I am making one of these with my daughter this summer. Any tips appreciated.

Thanks!

The cord, plug, light socket, lamp shade, and switches came from colorcord dot com. The electrical cord itself seems good quality; the hardware not so much, but it does work and they make it easy to do the connections, with good on-line instructions.

I had initially thought to use a glass lampshade. However, being above a child's bed I was worried about the possibility of glass breakage or someone hitting their head on it, so I went with the fabric shade.

Consider adding a dimming switch, rather than just a simple on-off.

Nice work Scott - that bent lamination lamp is really nice - like it a lot. Very graceful. And thanks for the colorcord.com resource - some lamps are in my near future and I'll certainly be looking at that web site.
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.