Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use "Microsoft Edge" web browser

I have a financial page that won't let me log in with Firefox and so I use Edge for that one. Otherwise, no I don't use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Donald G. Burns View Post
    I have a financial page that won't let me log in with Firefox and so I use Edge for that one. Otherwise, no I don't use it.
    Donald, what might help with that one page in Firefox is to restart in safe mode. Help -> Restart with Add-ons Disabled. I've always used Firefox as my default browser, they appear to be the only provider that has some concern about my privacy, not making $Billions by selling users information and flinging ads at them.
    Last edited by Curt Harms; 06-26-2020 at 7:05 AM.

I use Firefox because it is what I use. Maybe it has more privacy than others, I couldn't say but it works for me. I have one app that used to use Edge and I think it still does but it is in the background.

This morning I stuffed Internet Explorer back to where it came from. I have Edge on task bar in case I need it for some reason.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    I do not like Bing at all as a search engine so I have a Google search on my Favorites banner.
    ^^ This. It just seems odd to me to use Google as the search engine on a non-Google browser when Chrome is available.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    "Design"? Possibly. "Intelligent"? Sure doesn't look like it from this angle.
    We used to be hunter gatherers. Now we're shopper borrowers.
    The three most important words in the English language: "Front Towards Enemy".
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.
    You can never be too rich, too thin, or have too much ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee DeRaud View Post
    ^^ This. It just seems odd to me to use Google as the search engine on a non-Google browser when Chrome is available.
    I got used to google when I was using Chrome all the time and did not like some of the later versions of IE. I now use Microsoft 365 for my laptop and phone(Samsung) and like the compatibility. Tried the latest version of Edge and like it (other than Bing as search engine) so here I am with a combination that I like. It all works fine so no issues.

Jim
    Last edited by Jim Tobias; 06-26-2020 at 11:41 AM. Reason: sp

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Grier View Post
    I use Firefox because it is what I use. Maybe it has more privacy than others, I couldn't say but it works for me. I have one app that used to use Edge and I think it still does but it is in the background.

This morning I stuffed Internet Explorer back to where it came from. I have Edge on task bar in case I need it for some reason.
    I have never used this browser as I am along time Firefox user although FF has some problems. To me its a case of too little and too late by MS to provide an acceptable experience for computer users.

So I have a question about Chrome. It has really gotten slow loading web pages and it says it is resolving host. I have looked this up and tried some of the suggestions, but nothing has worked. Really frustrated with how Chrome is working. Any help?
    John

Quote Originally Posted by John Meyer View Post
    So I have a question about Chrome. It has really gotten slow loading web pages and it says it is resolving host. I have looked this up and tried some of the suggestions, but nothing has worked. Really frustrated with how Chrome is working. Any help?
    John
    You on Spectrum by any chance? Their DNS server has gone down multiple times in the last week.
    Yoga class makes me feel like a total stud, mostly because I'm about as flexible as a 2x4.
    The world makes a lot more sense when you remember that Butthead was the smart one.

Quote Originally Posted by John Meyer View Post
    John
    I'm able to select my DNS provider via my router. I find DNS providers other than my ISP seem faster. I run a 3rd party firmware on my router (DD-WRT), I don't know if SOHO router typically provide that capability.

Curt, most, if not all routers/gateways allow the end user to switch from automatic to manual DNS server entries which in turn, are passed to the devices on the user's network via the DHCP process. Where that's done in the router interface varies with make and model, but it's usually not difficult to do.

The downside with abandoning an ISP DNS is that one doesn't get any benefit from caching of content in the ISP's network for efficiency. The upside might be other things, such as taking advantage of filtering options for families with kids (OpenDNS, for example) that isn't device specific or, perhaps some privacy factors. (real or imagined...)
    Last edited by Jim Becker; 06-27-2020 at 9:25 AM.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Curt, most, if not all routers/gateways allow the end user to switch from automatic to manual DNS server entries which in turn, are passed to the devices on the user's network via the DHCP process. Where that's done in the router interface varies with make and model, but it's usually not difficult to do.
    The Spectrum boxes will let you restrict DHCP to a specific IP range or shut it off completely, but not set the server. I just went full-manual on anything mission-critical, set the primary DNS to Spectrum's default and the secondary to Google's.

(The only reason I even noticed Spectrum's DNS outage is that Netflix in my Blueray player has been stalling intermittently with a DNS error. it doesn't have a secondary DNS entry so I had left it on DHCP.)

It was the MS change to Edge that converted me to a MAC. I cant provide technical reasons, but it did not seem to provide any additional features useful to me.

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I restarted my computer after a widows update and there was a message to try the new "Microsoft Edge". I normally use Chrome. Anyone use Edge? How do you like it?
    Thanks
    I got the same thing after installing and using Webex video conference, which turned out to not like my system.
    A full screen prompt to install Edge
    I'm using win7pro.

Firefox for me everything else is awful
    If the Help and advice you received here was of any VALUE to you PLEASE! Become a Contributor
    Rabbit RL_XX_6040-60 watt Laser engraving/cutting machine Oh wait its a 3D Printer my bad LOL
    Lasercut 5.3
    CorelDraw X5

10" Miter Saw with slide
    10" Table Saw
    8" bench mount 5 speed Drill Press
    Dremel, 3x21 Belt Sander

I used edge for about 3 months, when I got my laptop. The most annoying part about it is it's lack 9f integration with YouTube or Gmail, etc. I would search for a video, it would give me the video, but at all costs avoid me going to YouTube it seemed like. Or when I would try to go to the Google search bar it would send me a alert Everytime saying something along the lines of "edge is faster than Google search"
    So while it works, if your used to chrome integration it is annoying.