Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anybody use "Microsoft Edge" web browser

Blog Entries

Anybody use "Microsoft Edge" web browser

I restarted my computer after a widows update and there was a message to try the new "Microsoft Edge". I normally use Chrome. Anyone use Edge? How do you like it?
    Thanks
    Dennis

I don't use either but Microsoft Edge and Chrome have the same 'parent', Chromium (Chromium.org). I try to limit my exposure to things Google but that's just me.

Where’s Lowell?

I have both on my laptop. Prefer Chrome but some random things require Edge.

The latest versions of Edge are based on Chromium. But I'd still stick to Chrome because that's what I'm invested in across multiple platforms. I only have one Windows box and that's on the CNC, anyway.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    The last update my computer has included the new Chromium Edge. I'd be tempted to try it, but I hate how MS is always trying to shove Edge down my throat & force me to use it, so I'll stay with Chrome for now.

I have the new version of Microsoft Edge and it seems OK so far. It came as an update in Microsoft 365. I do not like Bing at all as a search engine so I have a Google search on my Favorites banner.
    I agree with you about Microsoft and EVERY other tech company always pushing their stuff on you....it is a constant.

Jim

I've been using Chrome for a good many years now and have it on all my platforms. I like that when I go to any of them, everything is there - my favorites, my history, etc. I'm sure that Edge will do the same but I haven't seen anything that would cause me to switch. Microsoft is too late with Edge. They should have done it years ago.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    It seems like MS lost their way years ago with respect to web browsers. Windows 10 came with IE and the older version of Edge, both of which were pretty terrible. But there was no way to select an alternate browser, although that was changed at some point. Now they finally have what looks like a decent browser, but for me it's too late to bother using it.

Blog Entries
    I don't like the intrusiveness of edge wanting access to many areas of my computer. I have the same problem with Apps on my mobile devices that want access to my phone, contacts, files, etc. Why does a Sudoku program need to know who my contacts are and who I talk to. What is it going to do call home if I don't play often enough and it gets lonely?
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Blog Entries
    Thanks for the replies, I plan to stay with Chrome.
    Dennis

The "news" is that Edge is taking advantage of a new Windows development that will make it much faster. Chrome will also do that in the near future.
    That's all I know, except I use Chrome because my son thought it hilarious that I used Edge.

Blog Entries
    Would be interesting to turn this into a poll. I use Chrome.
    NOW you tell me...

I'm giving Edge an opportunity due to things I'm reading about Google and their lack of support for our folks in blue. Now after about a week I can say the switch was pleasantly uneventful.

I'm the outlier: I use Firefox.
    I also had Edge put on after the last update, never bothered with it. I'm forced to use Chrome for one of my applications, on this computer, and Edge on the other one for one application (not the same application), but generally, it's Firefox and Thunderbird for my mail service.
    Young enough to remember doing it;
    Old enough to wish I could do it again.

Another outlier, I use Safari mostly, sometimes Chrome. The browsers seem so similar and so capable these days I haven't found any particular reason to choose one over another. I'm old enough that my instinct is to run from any Microsoft branded browser, but that's a prejudice from quite a while ago.