Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Garage Power Requirments for Sawstop and Dust Collection?

Any chance of welding or an electric car before you move out? then run at least 60 amps

I also have a MIG welder that works fine on 120V. Not all welders need 220V.

I am fortunate in that my main 200A panel for the house is located in the garage; this had made installing more circuits for my shop tools a breeze.

I purchased the 120V 1-3/4HP sawstop PCS about 4-5 years ago, before I had any 220V outlets in the garage. I had it on a dedicated 20A amp breaker. Using a standard kerf blade I could cut 3/4 flat stock, and up to 6/4 hardwoods without too much problem. Anything thicker the motor would bog down and occasionally trip the breaker. With a thin kerf ripping blade I could manage to cut up to 12/4 stock if I went very, very slowly. At that time I was using a Rigid shop vac for dust collection which was pretty much like using no dust collection. I eventually upgraded the motor in my saw to the 220V 3HP version and now it is on a dedicated 220V circuit, with my 5HP dust collector on a separate circuit. This huge cyclone is tremendous overkill for my hobby shop but I have one 4" flex line to the cabinet and another 4" line to the overarm dust collector/guard on the sawstop. Always love watching the shorter cutoffs go floating up into the dust guard and disappear.

It is possible to have a nice shop with only 120 volt circuits, but you will need at least 3 of them. Start with a 15 amp circuit just for lights. Add a 20 amp circuit for each big machine that could run together. That would be; table saw, dust collector, air compressor. Not all shops have a compressor so that may get you to 3 circuits. Those 20 amp circuits can handle everything else when the TS and DC are not running. They should feed utility outlets around the walls.

I have a remote to start the DC and I'd say it is better than an autostart.