Thread: Not finding: Dowel jig for very small diameters

Not finding: Dowel jig for very small diameters

I use stainless dowel pins for pivot hinges on boxes, usually working in the 1.5mm - 2mm diameter range. I have a conventional dowel jig, but the diameters on all the usual ones I see are way bigger than where I work, so I'm currently doing it all freehand. It mostly works, but the fingers and eyes are on the down slope so I'm looking for a tool. Yes, I can make my own, but maybe somebody has an extruded aluminum thingy already.

Suggestions?

You say "conventional dowel jig", so I'm thinking you're making wooden dowels. But you also say "stainless dowel pins", so maybe you're making metal pins. Which is it? The solutions would be very different.

Lee Valley makes drill guide bushings in 1/8". I use them with the guide insert to create custom dowel jigs from time to time.
    The minimum size they make in metric is 5mm which sounds too big for your needs.

I have seen videos on YouTube of makers who demonstrate how to make dowel jigs using metal tubing for the guide. If you're interested let me know and I can find you a link.

https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...guide-bushings
    https://www.leevalley.com/en-us/shop...l-guide-insert

If you want stainless pins, you can buy 1/16" rod (1.6mm) in stainless from McMaster Carr. 3 ft for ten bucks.
    Last edited by Jamie Buxton; 06-23-2020 at 10:58 AM.

Blog Entries
    I believe he is looking for a guide to drill the holes, not a jig to make the pins.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    You say "conventional dowel jig", so I'm thinking you're making wooden dowels. But you also say "stainless dowel pins", so maybe you're making metal pins. Which is it? The solutions would be very different.
    I assume he is talking about the jig for drilling the holes, not a tool for making dowels right? If so the 1/8" guides from Lee Valley that Edwin mentioned are the smallest I know of and I think they fit some dowel jigs.

What Glen, Peter, Edwin said. Yeah, 5mm is too big.

I have a jig to drill holes for wooden dowels that has been unused since I discovered dominoes a decade ago. What I do for box hinges: I use 1.5mm -2mm stainless dowel pins, usually ~18mm long. I am trying to find a jig that makes it easier to keep that 18mm long, 1.5mm diameter hole clean and straight as it passes from the side of the box to the side of the lid.

The tubes to make your own sound interesting. Really, it's just a line up problem... I think I actually have some very small diameter tube some where in the shop already...

Another solution outside of Lee Valley would be to go to any bearing supplier such as B & D (Bearings and Drives) and have them order you a bronze bushing that will fit into your existing jig and has the hole diameter of what you need. It's a very cheap solution to your problem and it will work.
    My Dad always told me "Can't Never Could".

SWE

McMaster-Carr has drill bushings of many types and sizes. I would start there. Once you have the bushings you can make a jig to hold the bushing. You can even make a jig that has the bushing spaced at the exact distance you need to drill bot sides at the same time.

https://www.mcmaster.com/drill-guides/drill-bushings/

Here is a video from a clever Japanese woodworker who demonstrates how to make doweling jigs using metal tubing for the drill bushing. Have a look, and you may see a way to adapt the concept to your needs if you can source the metal tubing with the I.D. that you need.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4YaHDDKbYE

BTW, I have installed pin hinges in small boxes where I have used brass rod from the hardware store as my pin. In these cases I drilled the hole in the box sides on the drill press before assembly, then after glue-up I clamped the lid where I wanted it and used the holes in the box sides for my drilling guide.

John, I think that what you are looking for is Rob Cosman’s kit: https://robcosman.com/products/rob-c...ill-kit-metric

Regards from Perth

Derek

I use a aircraft countersink cage to drill shelf pin holes. I got the kind with no foot and bought a drill just the size of the outerbody to drill holes in a jig. I can not remember the exact name but ebay is loaded with spring loaded drill bushing that should be workable for you. If you can not buy exactly what you need buy one with the correct inner hole and put and nut and bolt through. grab the threads in a drill and grind the outside down on a grinder while the drill is running. Should be accurate enough. probably easier, and more room for error, to drill out the center hole. Most. drill bushing will be hardened and not drillable unless the temper is drawn.
    Bil lD.

Big Gator Tools makes a drill guide for what you need; it's their "mini" and goes all the way to 3/64. Cost is somewhere around $25. I have 3 of their guides and find them invaluable at times.