Thread: Saw sold by Barker Hardware Company?

Saw sold by Barker Hardware Company?

Hi, I recently bought a cross cut panel saw with an etching for Barker Hardware Company. The etching includes a picture of a stag. I wonder whether anyone has heard of this company and who actually made their saws. I have not found any info about them online. The closest I have come is a few references to Barker, Rose and Clinton wholesale Hardware (and a number of variations on the name, depending on who joined the company) in Elmira New York. I have no idea whether that is related to the Barker Hardware Company. In any event, the saw is nothing special to look at but sharpened up beautifully. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Sanford Levy View Post
    Hi, I recently bought a cross cut panel saw with an etching for Barker Hardware Company. The etching includes a picture of a stag. I wonder whether anyone has heard of this company and who actually made their saws. I have not found any info about them online. The closest I have come is a few references to Barker, Rose and Clinton wholesale Hardware (and a number of variations on the name, depending on who joined the company) in Elmira New York. I have no idea whether that is related to the Barker Hardware Company. In any event, the saw is nothing special to look at but sharpened up beautifully. Any info would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
    As I understand it, the big makers (Disston, Atkins, etc.) would make saws for the local hardware store. I have a couple. Mine all have "Warranted Superior" on the handle medallion, and then the hardware store's etch is on the saw itself. Some are quite striking. It may not be possible to identify who made your particular saw, and the hardware store may be lost in the mists of time. If you post pictures though, there is always the chance somebody may be able to help you.

Blog Entries
    Howdy Sanford and a belated welcome to the Creek.

As Nicholas posted almost all of the private branded saws were made by one of the bigger companies. Some companies were actually distributors with branded tools made on contract by the larger makers.

If the etching includes the name of a city or two it might be helpful to search the histories of the cities to find information about a particular company or store.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    if you post a picture we can probably tell you what model from the manufacturer it is