Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need source for dust masks

I just clicked on the one Brian references from Amazon. It says they will be available June 30.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

According to OSHA standards - and one can argue whether those would apply to a hobby woodworker - one needs to have a proper fitting in order to wear an N95 mask properly. This is to confirm that the mask in question does actually fit the user and to make sure the user knows how to put on the mask the correct way. If the mask doesn't fit correctly, or of it's not put on correctly it will not actually protect you to the N95 standard. Same applies to any mask with a tight-fitting seal. PAPRs, which do not require a tight-fitting seal to to functions properly do not require a fit test.

I think most woodworkers just figure even an improperly-fitting N95 will be better than no mask at all, and that's probably true... But if you want to really, really protect yourself - and be sure of it - you do need a fit test. Since this is not practical for a hobbiest, consider a PAPR.

I have a 3M versaflo, which works great. Comfortable, full face shield, and the continuous breeze in there feels great in a hot garage in the summer.

Perhaps check your local Ace hardware store. My neighbor just bought some boxes of dust masks at out local Ace. I'm sure these are not N95, but probably sufficient for occasional use cutting wood.
    David

I have seen some questionable Chinese N95 masks for sale, including at my local Ace. N95 was printed on the package bu there were no markings to indicate NIOSH approval which makes me think they're counterfeit.

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Perhaps check your local Ace hardware store. My neighbor just bought some boxes of dust masks at out local Ace. I'm sure these are not N95, but probably sufficient for occasional use cutting wood.
    David
    I checked at the Ace Hardware in Town. Nothing until at least the Fall. They are sold out of every mask and respirator.

I just ordered a 10 pack of KN95 (china standard) masks from wyze.com for $20. Its part of their covid initiative. Has to be better than the homemade cloth mask that I'm currently using.

There are a lot of fake "N95" masks out there. There are also masks that use N95-style material but do not have the ability to create an adequate seal so they would not pass NIOSH standards - I think many of the KN-95 masks are the later.

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    With that Corona Virus, good dust masks have been impossible to find. Anyone got a good source for dust masks for woodturning and sanding on the Lathe ? Got the Jet DC 650 Dust Collector and the Overhead air filtration system; but can't find any Masks to wear.

Thanks,

Clarence.
    The last I checked the local farm store had industrial cartridge respirators. Although I have a bunch of 3M half and full face respirators I bought one extra from the farm store in case someone I knew needed one. Should I check to see if they still have some?

JKJ

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bernstein View Post
    There are a lot of fake "N95" masks out there. There are also masks that use N95-style material but do not have the ability to create an adequate seal so they would not pass NIOSH standards - I think many of the KN-95 masks are the later.
    I have found this totally to be true. For now, medical workers are going to get preference for true N95 masks, so really tough to get for woodworkers. And it's truly disgusting how China is flooding our markets with the fake crap. Even if some are real, the ear loop versions would never pass a fit test, so you really are mostly breathing around the mask and it isn't doing much.

I'm a professional mask wearer (anesthesiologist), so I'm very accustomed to wearing masks for many hours at a time, and a true N95 mask is very difficult to wear - even in a freezing cold OR.

For my woodworking, I find the 3M half masks far more comfortable to wear for long periods. But they are very difficult to get now.

I'd go with whatever KN95 or N95 mask you can find and assume they are fake. As soon as you can get a 3M or Ellipse respirator with P100 cartridges, I'd change over to that.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

I just ordered a new mask from RZ this week. The colors available are limited right now, but I just needed a dust mask, not a fashion statement.

https://rzmask.com/

I use the RZ in my shop when hand-sanding and it's nice and comfortable for that particular purpose.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Our local woodcraft has a couple of dust masks in stock:
    - Trend Air Stealth (N100)j; currently in stock online)
    - Dust Bee Gone (washable polyester; filtration unrated) (currently in stock online, as well)
    - filters for the RZ

I'd recommend checking your local store, or ordering online.

Matt