Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need source for dust masks

Need source for dust masks

With that Corona Virus, good dust masks have been impossible to find. Anyone got a good source for dust masks for woodturning and sanding on the Lathe ? Got the Jet DC 650 Dust Collector and the Overhead air filtration system; but can't find any Masks to wear.

Thanks,

Clarence.

If Wurth Baer services your area, I believe they have disposable n95 masks in stock (without exhale valves). I believe they also have some respirator models available.

And for the time being, anyway, you don't have to have a WB account to order PPE (only) from them.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Get a respirator that uses disposable filters instead. They're much more comfortable, IMO.

I like this one: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008MCUT86

It is currently unavailable for some reason, but there must be others like it.

Good luck. I've been looking for months to restock my construction companies supply. We've resorted to other methods of working in dusty areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post
    Get a respirator that uses disposable filters instead. They're much more comfortable, IMO.

Agreed. Get a face mask like a 3m with replaceable filters.

Blog Entries
    This became my new go-to several years back. They started showing up in woodworking catalogs a while back with a price jump ;-( Still a good price at $30. These do not block peripheral vision like my 3M half mask but, I wear the half mask primarily for finishing with appropriate filters, not for using sharp things. The LPR-100 works great for wood spoil heavy operations around the shop. I do run a cyclone at the source for most things but, we have plenty of operations, both powered and not, that stir up plenty of fine dust.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This became my new go-to several years back. They started showing up in woodworking catalogs a while back with a price jump ;-( Still a good price at $30. These do not block peripheral vision like my 3M half mask but, I wear the half mask primarily for finishing with appropriate filters, not for using sharp things. The LPR-100 works great for wood spoil heavy operations around the shop. I do run a cyclone at the source for most things but, we have plenty of operations, both powered and not, that stir up plenty of fine dust.
    Seems to be the elipse mask, or maybe the elipse is rebranded miller. Either way, I've been unable to find replacement filter elements for mine since the start of the pandemic, at least from the usual sources. They are all out of stock. Maybe I'll try some of the welding supply places. Fortunately, I have a spare set of filters that I bought before Covid so I'm good for a while.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

I just checked and there are plenty of surgical masks on Amazon.

No, not heavy duty N95's but better than nothing.

Tool Nut has been stocking KN-95 masks lately...availability comes and goes. Use what you can actually find, but long term, a ventilated shield is probably the better choice for turning purposes.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Amazon and ebay have spare exhale valves you can add to a mask. I think they just punch and lock in with a trim piece or get hot glued.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dufour View Post
    Amazon and ebay have spare exhale valves you can add to a mask. I think they just punch and lock in with a trim piece or get hot glued.
    Bill D

What's the reason for adding an exhale valve?

And as far as getting a half face similar to the Eclipse, those are also out of stock just about everywhere I've looked. Luckily I own one already with a couple replacement filters but I just happened to check and they are not available anywhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian W Evans View Post

I can't find filters for any of mine, and can't replace them either.

They're not available for the same reason N95/P100 etc are difficult to get.

The KN-95's from Tool Nut are OK, they're ear loops though.. and those suck to wear for any kind of time.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by mike stenson View Post
    ... they're ear loops though.. and those suck to wear for any kind of time.
    Agreed!

I haven't tried these, but saved the link because they might help:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0875H3MMT/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But the surgical / social distancing masks aren't what you really want for a wood shop!

Clarence,

It depends on what you are looking for.

Woodcraft has a few available for quick shipping. I recently ordered a few Dust Bee Gone masks and they came within the week or so. That was a few weeks ago so not sure if that has changed much.

https://www.woodcraft.com/search?q=d...&button=search

RZ Masks seems to have limited stock but does have availability. https://rzmask.com/collections/best-sellers

I have purchased a few items for my remodeling company from MRO Supply. They have KN 95 masks for $1.00 a piece with a min order. I can't speak to quality. They are the Chinese "equivalent" to a N-95 but they have no rating from the US. I'd be skeptical but the cost is reasonable.

https://www.mrosupply.com/popular_pr...us-protection/

Quote Originally Posted by Clarence Martinn View Post
    With that Corona Virus, good dust masks have been impossible to find. Anyone got a good source for dust masks for woodturning and sanding on the Lathe ? Got the Jet DC 650 Dust Collector and the Overhead air filtration system; but can't find any Masks to wear.

Thanks,

Clarence.

Try envomask.com
    Very comfortable fit with replaceable N95 filters. Made in Hampton, NH