Thread: Focusing Laser

Focusing Laser

Hi all. New to cnc laser, new to forum. Forgive this question but I have a diode 15 watt universal engraver (manual z axis) and I can't seem to etch glass. My question is do I HAVE to adjust the focus or can I just adjust the z axis until I reach the smallest beam?

I'm not sure if my Google-fu is at 100% this morning, but I don't think you can etch glass with that sort of laser. Adding a coating to the glass may make it slightly less impossible.

Also, here's a (brief) thread with similar thoughts:
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....1-Diode-Lasers
    Licensed Professional Engineer,
    Unlicensed Semi Professional Tinkerer

Ok thanks. What about my question on focusing it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ernie Woodburn View Post
    Ok thanks. What about my question on focusing it?
    Focal plane plays a large role in lasering; such is an understatement. So yes, you most certainly want to be in focus. *thumbs up*
    Epilog Legend 36EXT ~35W
    30W Fiber Laser
    Ender 3 PRO
    Corel X6
    AutoCAD 2019
    FFL 01

Any method of closing or opening the gap between the lens and work is an act of focusing; IN focus is the goal, HOW you focus is moot
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post
    Any method of closing or opening the gap between the lens and work is an act of focusing; IN focus is the goal, HOW you focus is moot

Ok thanks Kev. So I've got better results now on glass. I had my laser about an inch or so high. Now I've raised it up 3 inches and played with the focus. How do you know when it's in focus though. Trial and error?

you do a 'ramp test'-- since you now know your 'close' focus, to do a ramp test you find a length of engraveable material, 4" if you have room, place it in the laser and raise one end about 1/4" with some sort of shim. Focus so the middle of the ramp is your 'close' focus. Now raster engrave the length of the ramp at just enough power to mark the material. You should find the middle engraves while the power falls off at the edges of the engraving. The center of the good engraving is your prime focus distance-
    ========================================
    ELEVEN - rotary cutter tool machines
    FOUR - CO2 lasers
    THREE- make that FOUR now - fiber lasers
    ONE - vinyl cutter
    CASmate, Corel, Gravostyle

Quote Originally Posted by Kev Williams View Post

PERFECT. Thanks Kev