Thread: Kitchen Cabinet drawer front question

Kitchen Cabinet drawer front question

I am building kitchen cabinets with front frames and euro hinges for doors and side mount glides for the drawers.

If I make my drawer boxes flush with the front of the front frame, the inside of the drawer front would close flush with the front frame.

If I use the same plastic bumper on the drawer front as I use on doors the spacing of the drawer and doors would match.

My question is it ok to depend on the bumper only to stop the drawer?

Hope you can follow my question.

Ron

Accuride and Grant slides do have their own positive stops built in that somewhat lock the drawer in place when closed. I’d wonder if a door bumper would cause the drawer to bounce back a bit when it shuts if it doesn’t engage the stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Accuride and Grant slides do have their own positive stops built in that somewhat lock the drawer in place when closed. I’d wonder if a door bumper would cause the drawer to bounce back a bit when it shuts if it doesn’t engage the stop.
    The other choice, if I want the space between the drawer and frame to match the drawer and frame would be to mount the box front proud of the drawer runners?

If you’re going with the normal side-mount full extension slides, that’d probably be your best bet. Alternatively, you could do either self-closing full extension ball bearing side mount or single extension epoxy Euro slides mounted normally with the bumper on the back of the false drawer front. The self-closing side mount sides are a bit thicker than the normal ones so plan accordingly if you went that route.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    The self-closing side mount sides are a bit thicker than the normal ones so plan accordingly if you went that route.
    The Knape & Vogot soft closing drawer slide need 1/2" per side for clearance just like any other side mounted slide.