Thread: Burnt American Flag Construction?

Burnt American Flag Construction?

I've been looking at some vids on those burnt flag how to's. Pretty cool, but pretty basic construction. Does anyone know of a vid that shows a more refined way of making one of these?

Have no idea what "burnt flag construction" really is, but I certainly hope it doesn't involve burning an American flag.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Have no idea what "burnt flag construction" really is, but I certainly hope it doesn't involve burning an American flag.
    Don't worry. Pure Americana right there.

3d3b8fef92c5dbe32888c6a8bae85fbe.jpg

That's it! I'm thinking one with glued slats, biscuits or Dominos, etc. There's also got to be some kind of router template for the Union or something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    That's it! I'm thinking one with glued slats, biscuits or Dominos, etc. There's also got to be some kind of router template for the Union or something like that.
    Look on Etsy. You can buy the stars in a 50 pack laser cut and with the burned effect, and you can also buy a template for laying them out and gluing them on straight. Or I think you can just use the template to paint on the stars if you don't want them applied. I think the photo has them painted, or maybe vinyl decal.
    I've seen people make coffee tables in this style too.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwin Santos View Post
    Look on Etsy. You can buy the stars in a 50 pack laser cut and with the burned effect, and you can also buy a template for laying them out and gluing them on straight. Or I think you can just use the template to paint on the stars if you don't want them applied. I think the photo has them painted, or maybe vinyl decal.
    I've seen people make coffee tables in this style too.
    The ones I've seen have the stars routed out, free handed, using the lines from a stencil. I was hoping there was a template for that. Or...how would you do the stars?
    Last edited by Derek Arita; 06-22-2020 at 6:34 PM.

That is a very cool project. I might have to replicate that into a coffee table.

I just got new toy, a Shaper Origin, so I think I can CNC route the Stars.

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisA Edwards View Post
    That is a very cool project. I might have to replicate that into a coffee table.

I just got new toy, a Shaper Origin, so I think I can CNC route the Stars.
    There's a guy who is doing the flags as a business and he uses a small CNC for the stars. That would make life so much easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Arita View Post
    The ones I've seen have the stars routed out, free handed, using the lines from a stencil. I was hoping there was a template for that. Or...how would you do the stars?
    Derek,
    Good question.
    Thinking about it, maybe I would try something like the guy in this video is showing where he routs out the stars with a Dremel tool and a steel template he sells. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZhVV8hB_eLM. The result looks pretty good.

His template is $70.00. Not sure if that's more than you'd care to spend. If so, maybe a template like this https://www.etsy.com/listing/6269854...ently_viewed-3
    He says it's 3mm birch plywood. So maybe double stick tape it over the workpiece and use it to knife out the stars, then use a small router and bit to freehand as close to the line as possible, finishing with a chisel. Kind of painstaking the more I think about it. Maybe the steel template is not such a bad deal.
    For a coffee table, it might be cool to rout the stars and fill with white epoxy or something like that.