Thread: Rub joints

Rub joints

I was glueing up a lid for a small box today. It’s about 10”x7”. I just rub joint things like this with the glue at hand. In this case just Titebond. Three joints rubbed together. Easy not much mess. To my knowledge, after doing this hundreds of times, I’ve never had a failure. Just curious in regards to the experiences of others. I tend to use this technique a lot for joints that are 2’ or less.

No clamps or anything Jim?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    Was it Titebond hide glue?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Frederick Skelly View Post
    No clamps or anything Jim?
    Fred, No clamps, rub until it stiffens up a bit and leave it for 15 minutes or so. I then do the next joint if required then usually let it sit quietly for a least a few hours, the next day if I’m going to do something really stressful to the joint. I understand that the technique was used a lot in the past with HHG. It’s worked ok for me with regular PVA. I’ve never intentionally tried to break a joint.

Quote Originally Posted by James Pallas View Post
    Fred, No clamps, rub until it stiffens up a bit and leave it for 15 minutes or so. I then do the next joint if required then usually let it sit quietly for a least a few hours, the next day if I’m going to do something really stressful to the joint. I understand that the technique was used a lot in the past with HHG. It’s worked ok for me with regular PVA. I’ve never intentionally tried to break a joint.
    Thank you!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Blog Entries
    I understand that the technique was used a lot in the past with HHG. It’s worked ok for me with regular PVA. I’ve never intentionally tried to break a joint.
    Interesting, sounds like something that could use some testing to determine the effectiveness.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

[QUOTE=Jim Koepke;3031778]Was it Titebond hide glue?
    Just PVA Jim. I’ve used HHG and liquid hide glue too. HHG works easier because it only takes a few minutes, maybe 5 and you can pick up a single joint panel and lean it against the wall to thoroughly dry. I also like to use it when things are hard to clamp up like segments for a rounded chest lid.

I'm a little surprised that some good and always busy workmen haven't been using rubbed joints. I think the use that
    would be close to 100 percent rubbed joints is corner blocks and other kinds of glue blocks.