Thread: Helical head replacement on a Jointer

Blog Entries

Helical head replacement on a Jointer

I replaced the straight blades on my Delta DJ-20 8” jointer. It seems like now it takes much more effort to push a board thru the jointer. Any one have experience with doing this. My replacement isn’t the Byrd.

It’s the Lux cut III. Supposed to be made in USA and uses titan knives (inserts).

comments are welcome.

That’s common.

Although my jointer is not helical, I have read that the helical heads require more effort. Has to do I believe with there always being an edge engaged in the wood where as straight blades are not constantly engaged in the wood. Seems a bit counter-intuitive to me since a straight blade edge is engaged over the entire length of the blade and an insert on a helical has just a fraction of the amount of edge engaged. But, I trust those with the experience.
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Blog Entries
    Thanks Matt.

Yes; I have replaced straight knife heads in three jointers. It always takes more pressure with an insert head. With an 8" jointer on the edge, you really don't notice it. On a 12" jointer on face, you will for sure. Just get some good push blocks.

If your inserts have the 30 degree facebevel like bryd inserts that would be the reason.
    Last edited by Andrew Hughes; 06-22-2020 at 7:54 PM. Reason: Miss spelling

Blog Entries
    Andrew: Do different inserts have different angles. I have trinity inserts, I think that is the name, will have to check tomorrow. I will check the angle also. Thanks.

When i hand feed high speed on the shaper it cuts like butter. If i run insert stuff even new replaced cutters there is more resistance. Take your pick the carbide cutters are not as sharp or chip limiting or chips not clearing the same as the other heads or a bit of all three

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Grauer View Post
    Andrew: Do different inserts have different angles. I have trinity inserts, I think that is the name, will have to check tomorrow. I will check the angle also. Thanks.
    I don’t know for sure. What I’ve found is how the inserts are faced in the head if the bevel is on the back same as a standard straight knife then there plenty of forward rake.
    If the inserts have the bevel on the face of the knife it’s more of a scraping cut. Here’s two examples
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Aj