Thread: Replacing bearings on dust collector motor

Replacing bearings on dust collector motor

I have a 2000-ish vintage Delta 1.5 hp (50-850) bag-type dust collector that I changed to an aftermarket pleated cartridge filter. Recently it's been sounding like I've got a bad bearing -- runs normally at full speed, but when it coasts down, it gets to a certain rpm then I get a lot of noise and vibration.

The impeller on this unit mounts directly to the motor shaft -- there are no bearings outside the motor, and there is no parts breakdown for the motor in the manual, it's just a "unit". Sticker on the motor shown, don't think that really informs much.

I've replaced bearings on planers, jointers, and lathes, both those were all external to the electric motor, I've never disassembled an large electric motor (changing brushes is about all I've ever done). I'm OK with DIY repair, but I also don't mind just taking the motor to a shop to have this done, would likely happen a lot faster.

Looking for suggestions on whether to DIY or have a shop do it. I'm assuming this is a common repair.

Thanks.

Dave

Capture1.JPG

If you've replaced bearings on other machinery, you'll be surprised how easy it is to do on an induction motor. Take it apart and give it a go. The only thing that may be remotely complicated is the centrifugal switch - just take some pictures as you take it apart to help get it back together.

Make sure the replacement bearings are sealed not shielded. Probably a larger bearing on the shaft end then the other. I use VXB from the bay for a source.
    Bil lD

So like a TTS code bearing?

After I posted this I did some youtube searching and see there's no shortage of videos on this. Guess I shoulda done that first.

Maybe I will do it myself. What could possibly go wrong. . .(!)

Thanks.

Dave

Blog Entries
    Not much to loose because a motor shop will charge more for the repair than the motor is worth. Small motor repairs are simply not economical.

Never done it myself but like you I have changed bearings in a number of my machines and the machines at work. I doubt it would be that much of difficultly assuming you have a good bearing puller or 3 jaw puller and possibly a press. You can get a generic press for well under $100 online or at Harbor Freight. I bought a 3 jaw and a 2 jaw puller that didn’t cost hardly anything because they came from a pawn shop. Study up on how to work on the CF switch as someone else mentioned as that is probably the only hard part but the knowledge on how to adjust them could come in handy down the road on your other machines.

no need to repair yourself

I have a Delta 50-760 dust collector and bearings are going out. Contacted local electric motor repair business for repair. Two new bearings plus labor cost in neighborhood of $65.00 and took less than 24 hours. Thats less than 10% of the cost of new motor if one could be found.

For an electric motor purchase C3 clearance bearings....Regards, Rod.

For a repair like this I would cut the wires near the motor to make removal easier. garden loping shears will do fine. When the motor is down on the bench replace the cut cord with a slightly longer one and install a twist lock male plug. Install a matching female on the cut off cord coming from the machine.
    Bill D