Thread: coffee table

coffee table

hello all,
    finished my coffee table. largest veneer project to date, learned a lot (I think)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
    sorry about the photo bein sideways, cant get that part right

Absolutely stunning! Congratulations!

It's got ...dignity. Lot more than most coffee tables. Love the "Big Bang " top. Sadly, I will not come over to see it ,since
    I've fallen over a few of them. Enjoy!

I’m a big fan of that style. Excellent work. Beautiful finish. Would love to see a full picture of the Demilune table in the background. Thanks for sharing.

Oh wow Eric! Such very nice work and it shows. Love the detail on the apron and the legs. First veneer project? Are you telling a little porky?
    David

Thanks guys you are all gracious.
    David, no not my first veneer project I’ve done small boxes before and that demilune in the background.
    But this is the first sunburst I’ve done. Top is 24 x 48. A 16 piece sunburst.
    I followed mike Henderson’s template idea. Would have been easier I think with a vacuum press but I don’t have one. So I used cauls and mdf platens.

Eric, If you plan to do more veneer work, check out the vacuum bag kits at Roarocket. They are relatively cheap (as vacuum kits go), and work very well.

Beautiful job love the contrast in the wood

That is really beautiful, Eric.

What types of wood/veneer did you use? I am looking at doing my first sunburst soon. You mentioned a template idea - could you give more details on that please?

Very well executed Eric! What finish did you use? I really like the contrasting woods!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Blog Entries
    Beautifully done. Great craftsmanship.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Thank you Brian
    Mike Henderson has instructions for how to size pie shaped templates. If you google it it should pop up. If you can’t find it email me and I can send you a link.
    Thanks Ken it’s made from a poplar brick layup. Veneered with sapele which was shop cut. From the same board I used for legs. The top is figured sapele from joe woodworker. The cossbanding is tiger maple. The inlays are homemade from holly and ebony.

Oh and the finish is about eight coats of arm r seal sanded down and polished