Thread: Best time of year to buy hardwoods?

Best time of year to buy hardwoods?

Is there a best time of year to buy, say, 1000bft of FAS hardwoods?

Josko, I feel for you! You posted a month ago and nobody replied. That is strange.

I'm not a logger, but I have read that trees are best felled in the winter because their sap content is lowest. However if you're buying dried lumber it probably doesn't matter by that stage when the tree was felled, or when you're buying it.

Just guessing here. I'd be interested to hear from some of the experienced logger heads on here!

While not a logger, but a user, I manufactured architectural moulding for many years in the 80's & 90's. I purchased mainly poplar 3-4 thousand feet at the time, but other hardwoods to a lessor degree. Overall I used 10-20 thousand board feet of poplar a year. I noticed a trend that lumber purchased in March-May seemed to be much better quality and more stable. I deduced that this was probably cut in the winter months and usually took several months to get through the system to me. I have no scientific evidence to support this just my experiences. Also don't know if this timing would hold true today. My gut feeling is processing times are shorter today than then.

So yes, I would say based on my experiences that timber harvested in the winter months will yield better and more stable lumber.

Tony Joyce
    Last edited by Tony Joyce; 07-21-2020 at 12:52 PM.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford

I'm not a sawmill, but I've talked with a few professional large sawmills. Maples are preferred to be cut in the winter because they're whiter and more pure in color. As Mark said, less sap content. Also when the temperatures lower there's chance of bacteria, mold, etc. to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Also when the temperatures lower there's chance of bacteria, mold, etc. to form.
    I'm told by mill operators that pines stain faster as the temperature rises. Unless dipped immediately upon sawing they will stain from bacteria/mold(blue/coffee) during summer months.

Tony
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”

Henry Ford

Quote Originally Posted by Tony Joyce View Post
    I'm told by mill operators that pines stain faster as the temperature rises. Unless dipped immediately upon sawing they will stain from bacteria/mold(blue/coffee) during summer months.

Tony
    Yes exactly. Sorry I meant when the temperatures are lower there's less chance of bacteria and mold to form.

Quote Originally Posted by Stewart Lang View Post
    Yes exactly. Sorry I meant when the temperatures are lower there's less chance of bacteria and mold to form.

Thanks for clarifying that point. So we are in agreement.

Henry Ford

I did a custom sawing job for an aging walnut logger - gun stock blanks from the crotches he'd saved through the years. I asked him when was the best time to cut walnut - in the winter? He said he cut more walnut in the summer. I guess it doesn't matter with walnut?

I see several replies about the best time to fell and saw timber, but keep in mind if you want to purchase kiln dried wood that may take months. If by "best time of the year" you mean the best for the best quality, yes, certain species in particular are best sawn in cold weather then sent directly to the kiln. If you are looking for the best prices, you might ask several suppliers.