Thread: HPST Bottle Cutter

HPST Bottle Cutter

So, I am trying to find an easy way to evenly cut Wine Glass stems for some wood stemmed Wine Glasses. I found this :

HPST Bottle Cutter & Glass Cutter Bundle - DIY Glass Bottle Cutter for Professional Use for Cutting Wine, Beer or Soda Round Bottles & Mason Jars

Yes, it says it is for Bottles, but would it also work for cutting Wine Glass stems ?

I use a triangular file. I score a line around the stem and tap it. The stem will break right off. Also, your favorite local bar is a great resource for wine glasses with the stems broken off. The dishwasher does them in.
    Joe

It might work but for it to work correctly it would need to support the glass on both ends. Usually those bottle cutting jigs support the large end of the bottle with rollers and cone to support the mouth. You could try diamond blade. My rotozip came with one for tile that will also work with glass. I would make a way to secure the glass and have a slow drip of water on the glass where I wanted to cut it. A diamond wheel would slice right through it leaving it flat.

Makita makes a cordless saw that many glass shops have specifically for cutting glass and mirrors. It's nothing more than a 3 3/8" cordless saw with a diamond blade and a drip bottle to keep the blade cool. As long as the RPM is the same you could easily add something like the drip bottle to keep the blade cool to almost any one of the different brands.
    c1ca54ce-6eb4-4a66-9e20-e993c4b0b1b8.jpg

I have actually tried it and you can cut sheet glass underwater with tin snips. Regular scissors are not enough leverage to really do much. I think a stem would be too thick to cut that way.
    So I would say any kind of wet saw rotary blade will work if you can keep the good end of the glass submerged so it does not shatter. Maybe an angle grinder with the glass upside down in a tub of water.
    Bill D