Thread: Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

Creeker's Past Week's Accomplishments

22 Jun 2020

Greetings,
    Lots of things on my mind and heart this week but besides that....The LOML decided it was time she had a new pantry so I spent time after work each evening to cut and make the majority of the pantry like she wants. I still have the sliding doors and door tracks to make but other than that, I have it all made and painted. I hope to have it assembled and sitting in place by Wednesday evening of this week. The truck bed project that I've been working on is still in the works as I had to go and talk to the customer again about specific board sizes for the old truck bed. I am pretty sure we've reached an agreement of what size the boards need to be in general so I hope to get that going later this week.

I hope each of you had a good Father's Day and even though my dad isn't here on earth any longer, I miss him terribly.

That's it for me, so what did YOU do this past week?

Best of weeks to you all.
    Thanks & Happy Wood Chips,
    Dennis -
    Get the Benefits of Being an SMC Contributor..!
    ....DEBT is nothing more than yesterday's spending taken from tomorrow's income.

'Hope you (and others) had a great Father's Day, Dennis! 'Can't wait to see photos of that new pantry!

This past week I continued work on my window project and am happy to say they are completely built other than final paint. I'll be able to start installation, at least for two of them, sometime this week I hope. The other two will wait until Professor Dr SWMBO's office is moved out of the room I need to repair plaster and replace the floor...no point in disrupting for the windows until there.

This week will see final preparations for our older daughter to move to an apartment in town next Monday...I have to make an adjustment to her headboard/nightstand combination that I made years ago and get some final arrangements for other things done. We also have to...pay the first month's rent. It will be truly "real" at that point!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Father's Day at our house was a good one. The family had a cookout with my father-in-law.

It's been a lot of puttering in the workshop the last few weeks rather than working in earnest on a real project. I've been practicing on the lathe some, trying to improve the ratio of successful pieces to firewood. A handful of Ruth Niles stainless steel bottle openers and bottle stoppers arrived in the mail. I'm looking forward to pairing those up with some turnings.

I finished up a floor lamp made from some leftover walnut and a cast iron gate post.
    Gate Post Lamp, 800.jpg

I've had an idea for some years to build a bar atop an old factory cart. That's my next project (which probably means that the fashion of building furniture out of old carts will be out of favor soon). Lately I've had the cart disassembled, getting rust and grime off the wood and iron components.
    Factory Cart, 800.jpg
    These carts are built to roll easily, of course, which is not a feature I want in a bar, so the next step after the big cleanup is working out a way to immobilize and stabilize it while not interfering too much with its original look. I've got an idea...we'll see how well it works out.
    Chuck Taylor

Charles, a little welding would fix those wheels from rolling.
    --

Not much shop time this weekend, but did get 2 coats of finish on the hall table I'm making. Other than that, spent a lot of time at our son's both Saturday and Sunday. We've just about completed the lifting/stabilizing of the structure and will be ready to begin the actual remodeling in another week. You've got to worry about people that wack and hack on a building without regard to structural integrity.

Not much of anything special for Father's Day, as both DH and I lost our fathers years ago.

Continue to plug away at office project. Weather was not good for spray finishing this week, but I got the pieces of the last 4 cabinets all sanded and prepped for the next good days. I got the 4 base cabinets and the two closet height cabinet boxes assembled, and started going through the stack of cherry to set aside the best boards for doors and drawer fronts. Then I'll pull from the rest for the twelve drawer boxes, which is the next phase of the project.

Other that that, did some outdoor chores and some misc. repair projects in the house. We are buying a used 18 x 12 sunsetter awning from my sister-in-law, so I drove over there today to take a look at it and figure out what's involved in taking it down and moving it. They are having a new hard top patio cover installed, so no longer need the sunsetter, and it will work well over our deck.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    Charles, a little welding would fix those wheels from rolling.

Those wheels are most likely cast iron, so it will take someone with skills to weld them in place, which definitely isn't me. Spent some time working on fill pipe for generator crank case. I built a house for my standby generator, but the oil fill is on wrong side. So I'm making an oil fill to go into where the drain plug is. Needed to fasten a 3/4 -16 nut to a 1/2" X 3/8" reducing coupling. (FYI, B&S oil fill plug is 3/4-16 thread.) Spent over an hour trying to arc weld it together, but each time I air tested it, it leaked. Saturday afternoon, had to replace acetylene regulator on torch. Old one creeps, so it will need to go to shop for rebuild. Saturday afternoon, finished hooking up son's stand by generator. Went to local BBQ place for sandwich and fries on Saturday evening. Picked it up at drive in window, and sat in van to eat it. Found out yesterday that grandson's daughter had brought their family a case of CV-19. Gave dog and her bedding a bath. Yesterday, replaced oil sending unit on van. To get to it, you have to remove air intake tube, serpentine belt, unbolt and swing AC compressor out of the way, then drop power steering pump down. Then it's a two minute job to replace switch. But putting everything back, isn't a to minute job. Sprayed the lawn for weeds, plus cut the back yard. Made wafflers with strawberries and whipped cream for breakfast Saturday morning. As usual, made biscuits Sunday morning, and pizza for dinner. Made some sweet potato pies. Exported several squirrels.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 06-22-2020 at 9:38 PM.

I was thinking more of brackets that would stop motion. Welded would be nice, but bolt-on hidden as well as possible is another option...whatever keeps them from spinning.
    --

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Becker View Post
    I was thinking more of brackets that would stop motion. Welded would be nice, but bolt-on hidden as well as possible is another option...whatever keeps them from spinning.

Could adapt some "stomp down feet at ends of carts. This would also stabilize them. Because main wheels have holes thru them, you could add a couple of "square" "U" bolts to stop from rolling.

BBQ Stand Painted.jpgCedar T&G.jpgConcrete in Place.jpgI'm building a BBQ island, steel tubing is welded and painted, concrete tops are cast, cedar wainscoting is made, getting there slowly.

Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Wrenn View Post
    Could adapt some "stomp down feet at ends of carts. This would also stabilize them. Because main wheels have holes thru them, you could add a couple of "square" "U" bolts to stop from rolling.
    Thanks for the ideas, guys. Not only do the wheels in the middle roll easily, but the swiveling wheels on each end are mounted to give just a little clearance from the floor. So I’ve got to stop it not only from rolling but also teeter-tottering a little. It’s nice, though, to have it roll when you need to move it.

My idea to immobilize and stabilize it is with legs that will flip down on the corners, using some old, heavy, spring-loaded doorstops (maybe similar to what Bruce means by “stomp-down feet”) on one end to set some tension. If it works and doesn’t distract badly, I’ll be happy.

Charles, for the leg idea, telescoping would work nicely and allow you to still use the wheels for occasional relocation.
    --