Thread: We can restart the economy during the Covid 19 pandemic.....

We can restart the economy during the Covid 19 pandemic.....

The CDC has made it quite well known that this pandemic isn’t over. My wife had been in California home schooling our 3 youngest grandkids since mid-March. Two weeks ago this past Friday, I drove to Twin Falls, ID spent the night and drove on to North Las Vegas, NV where I met up with my wife, DIL and 3 grandkids. The 3 grandkids wanted to spend the 3rd consecutive summer with us in Idaho. I’m sure the twin 10 year old granddaughters and our 7 year old grandson won’t feel that way for many more years so we agreed to the idea. The next morning the 3 grandkids, my wife and I departed and arrived in Moab, UT that evening.

A number of years ago we discovered the advantage of taking guided tours. Last year we toured Yellowstone with the 3 grandkids with an excellent guide. This year I wanted to do Glacier National Park but couldn’t get a Red Bus tour so we decided to do 2 tours out of Moab. We scheduled these tours before the Covid 19 pandemic struck. The company that I chose for a ½ day tour Arches National Park after the pandemic struck offered to provide private tours for a marginal increase in price, so I upgraded to a private tour. The other tour was a 4X4 tour taking the Shaffer Trail to Island in the Sky which is part of the Canyonlands National Park. It would require the 5 of us to ride in a 5 passenger Toyota Landcruiser so there was no need to upgrade it.

The difference in how the two companies handled the reopening of the economy during the current pandemic was amazing. At 0700 we entered the first company’s business where there were Xs on the floor, hand sanitizer dispensers on a table. All the employees were masked, one came over told us they wanted to check our temperatures and informed us since we were traveling together, if any of us failed the temperature, none us would be allowed to take the scheduled tour. Using an infrared, non-contact thermometer, they checked our temperatures and we passed. They introduced our driver/guide and we boarded a tour van. He was masked, courteous and took us to the park. When we left the van to hike on trails we often removed our masks but reapplied them as we got back into the van. This guide was a local, an author, a father of adult children and part mountain goat I am sure. When he took the kids hiking up on to arches that my wife and I weren’t in condition to climb, he always stayed below them to catch them in the event of a fall. He was the first to descend for the same reason. He would put them into great positions for photographing and then go around a rock corner so he would not be in the photograph. I can’t say enough good about the guide or the company. We tipped the guide very well because he deserved it! On the company’s website they have a short video demonstrating how before each tour, they spray a sanitizer on the seats, seatbelts, handles etc. to help minimize the chances of transfers of the virus from previous passengers. BTW, employees are screened each day too. The entire event was pleasant and as professional as one could expect. The company’s name is Moab Adventure Center tours. I highly recommend the company.

The next day we entered the other company's office for the 4X4 tour. No employees were wearing masks. After they saw a group of 5 wearing masks, they began putting on masks. Even though we had signed waivers when we scheduled the tours in the first week of March, they made us sign new waivers to include no liability in case we contacted Covid 19 on their tour. There was no screening procedure. Their driver/guide was introduced. He led us to the vehicle where he disappeared and returned after getting his mask. The scenery was every bit as exciting as you might expect. I won’t use that company again. They clearly aren’t taking this situation seriously except to get you to sign a liability release.

I first saw Arches National Monument now Arches National Park in the late 50’s as we relocated to Blanding, UT where I attended 5th grade. In the same decade, I also saw Monument Valley, the location of several John Ford/John Wayne movies at/or near Goulding Trading Post. Having seen the unique scenery as a youngster, it sticks in my mind even today.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-22-2020 at 9:28 PM.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

DSC_2070a.jpg

According to the guide, the next photo is where Thelma and Louise ended their adventure in the movie.

DSC_2077a.jpg

DSC_2098a.jpgDSC_2099a.jpgDSC_2104a.jpgDSC_2107a.jpg
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-21-2020 at 10:22 PM.
    Ken

And finally we returned home to Idaho where we spent the night in Twin Falls and then the next morning viewed Shoshone Falls about 2 miles from town. After viewing the falls, we drove on to our home in Lewiston.

DSC_2119a.jpgDSC_2130a.jpgDSC_2160a.jpgDSC_2171a.jpgDSC_2205a.jpg

A late note. The hospital where the DIL is a pharmacist, is a rehab hospital and was required to set up a portion of the beds to rehab Covid 19 patients. Since her return after meeting me in North Las Vegas, they hadn't opened the Covid section, found they already had a couple patients in house that tested positive and 7 staff members who tested positive. This before they opened the Covid rehab beds. They initially thought the staff may have transferred by lowering their masks when conversing in staff areas.

We can safely reopen, IMO, but we have to be very disciplined in the process, again IMO.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-22-2020 at 12:45 PM.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    Ken, thanks for sharing the images. Some of those look like they may have been used in an Indiana Jones movie.

We can safely reopen, IMO, but we have to be very disciplined in the process, again IMO.
    "Disciplined in the process" is the problem. There are too many folks who for many reasons refuse to wear a mask or practice other socially safe "disciplines."

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Well what do you know:

Arches UT.jpg

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Great pictures Ken. I would love take the trip to Moab, lots of great ATV riding in the area just need to find a partner to ride with.
    I'm going to West Virginia next week for a couple of days.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Ken, thanks for sharing the images. Some of those look like they may have been used in an Indiana Jones movie.

"Disciplined in the process" is the problem. There are too many folks who for many reasons refuse to wear a mask or practice other socially safe "disciplines."

jtk
    We're now seeing the results of a lack of discipline, we can't act like nothing is happening and wish it away. Ultimately, that means I'm saving a lot more money than I intended... and I'm in the middle of a shop build, so I've literally spent thousands less than I had/have budgeted.
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

It stopped? I thought it got busier.

Blog Entries
    We enjoyed all five national parks during our Utah visit in 2017.
    IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    We also went to monument Valley which was impressive in its own right.
    IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1643-s.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1723 Stitch.jpg
    Last edited by Lee Schierer; 06-22-2020 at 12:05 PM.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    We enjoyed all five national parks during our Utah visit in 2017.
    IMG_1040.jpg
    IMG_1413.jpg
    We also went to monument Valley which was impressive in its own right.
    IMG_1730.jpg
    IMG_1643-s.jpg
    IMG_1675.jpg
    IMG_1723 Stitch.jpg
    Lee, on a hot Sunday afternoon in 1959, I saw Monument Valley for the first time. In 1983, we took a vacation with Sharon's parents to Durango, Mesa Verde, Four Corners and spent 2 nights in Blanding, UT where I attended 5th grade. I saw what I wanted in the town by 10:00 a.m. on the full day we were there and I remembered Monument Valley the site of over 40 films over the decades. So with in-laws in tow, we drove there once again. Monument Valley has some of the most gorgeous memorable sceneries I have ever seen. Goulding's Trading Post wasn't as commercially developed in the late 50s. At the site which was in the films and actually served as John Wayne's "room" during the filming, my FIL, a man of few words, turned around, jokingly hoisted his pants by his belt stating "I walked where the Duke walked". John Wayne was my FIL's favorite actor. My FIL was a 3 time decorated for valor Army veteran of WWII.

Great photos Lee!

Some day in the company of my wife, I would like in mid-fall or early spring take a guided tour of the Mighty 5!
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-22-2020 at 4:05 PM.
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Fitzgerald View Post
    DSC_2070a.jpg

According to the guide, the next photo is where Thelma and Louise ended their adventure in the movie.

DSC_2077a.jpg

DSC_2098a.jpgDSC_2099a.jpgDSC_2104a.jpgDSC_2107a.jpg
    These photos were taken on the Shaffer Trail to the Island in the Sky portion of Canyonlands National Park. This isn't for the faint of heart. It was originally used by sheep and herders to get sheep to the grazing at the top of the mesa. Later is was widened by cattlemen to graze cattle on the mesa and finally widened by the BLM. Often cars have to find a wide spot so they can pass in opposite directions or in the same direction.At one point our guide/driver had to stop our vehicle and get out to direct traffic for tourists driving on this dirt and gravel road as one car turned at a switch back and became high centered. Our 3 grandkids refused to look at these photos once we got home and I uploaded them from my Nikon digital camera. This isn't for the faint hearted.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 06-22-2020 at 4:06 PM.
    Ken

Ken, beautiful pictures and beautiful family. Thanks for sharing!