Thread: Oneway Dust Hood?

Oneway Dust Hood?

I've been looking at the Oneway #3350 Dust Hood online and was wondering if anybody has one that can share their opinions of it? It seems a bit expensive for what you get.

I started with a "big gulp" dust hood. I found that the little gulp, being smaller, concentrated the dust collection better. Both were under $20.

The One way hood doesn't "look" particularly efficient and the $500 plus makes it ridiculous.

The most interesting hood I saw was on a Youtube video with Reed Gray aka Robohippy. He took a large container, perhaps a 30 gallon drum, cut it in half and added a flange for the D.C. It looks like it really works well for sucking up dust. Perhaps a google search will lead you to his video.

Quote Originally Posted by Brice Rogers View Post
    I started with a "big gulp" dust hood. I found that the little gulp, being smaller, concentrated the dust collection better. Both were under $20.

The One way hood doesn't "look" particularly efficient and the $500 plus makes it ridiculous.

The most interesting hood I saw was on a Youtube video with Reed Gray aka Robohippy. He took a large container, perhaps a 30 gallon drum, cut it in half and added a flange for the D.C. It looks like it really works well for sucking up dust. Perhaps a google search will lead you to his video.

I agree, the price of the Oneway dust hood is obscene for the work it has to do but the build itself sort of justifies the price. I have a never used "big gulp" or its equivalent and may give that a try.

Steve,
    I can put you in contact with someone who has one. I think it works great but he doesn't use it and I'm sure would sell it. He does mainly small things and it's overkill for him.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Frank View Post
    Steve,
    I can put you in contact with someone who has one. I think it works great but he doesn't use it and I'm sure would sell it. He does mainly small things and it's overkill for him.

That sounds promising. PM on the way.

Here's Reed Gray's video. Clever hack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AZsVc7qVx7A

I am working on a full sized model which will have the whole lathe in the hood. You can buy that white plastic in 5 by 10 foot sheets. I bought 1/4 inch thick which is pretty stiff, but I would think the 3/16 or 1/8 would be sufficient, but not sure what thicknesses are available. A couple of people could get together for a purchase. You cut to size and then bend to fit. You could make a bit C type hood easily. I used some 3/4 inch ply to make a curved back up to the hood. I wanted one that I didn't have to take off or on the lathe, and the big gulp type hoods don't get enough of the dust. Apparently the plastic company that sold me the sheets can now 'weld' the plastic. No clue as to what is involved. I have seen one box similar to what Oneway makes which was home made and a lot cheaper. You could make a hood for a mini lathe with one of the 55 gallon barrels that I used for my bowl sanding hood. The more enclosed the piece is, the more dust goes into the DC and the less there is that can escape into the air...

robo hippy

My rig. See attached photo. Simple. Low cost. Works great! - John
    Attached Images Attached Images