Thread: out feed height compared to table saw surface height

Blog Entries

out feed height compared to table saw surface height

When I originally built my out feed table behind my table saw, I (somewhat arbitrarily) set it a 1/4" lower than the table saw surface. I think I was probably concerned with catching the front edge of a board on the table if it was any taller.

Flash forward many months, and that 1/4" drop was annoying as can be.... Once my projects progress past needing the table saw for any additional cuts, I often use the table saw and out feed as an extra work surface, so it was frustrating to have two different heights.

So, yesterday, I took a roundover bit and eased the edge of the out feed table that is affixed to the table saw back rail, and re-set the height to within 1/64" lower than the table saw surface. Test cuts found no "board catching".

I think I'll like this a lot better, and was curious to know others' opinions
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

Flush.....

Flush or at worse, just a "proverbial hair" below is about right. Flush means the saw itself can support something big during assembly if need be without affecting alignment.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Blog Entries
    Excellent. That’s about where I’m at now. A single layer of painters tape lower than table saw surface
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

I think I set mine at 1/32 lower. Never had any snagging or tipping problems.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

We built ours with screw feet to adjust to the table saw and level

As close to flush as possible, Built the table with adjustable levelors
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

Blog Entries
    Mine is also an assembly table so it gets wheeled around. The height is adjustable but, I wasn't sure it would stay an outfeed so I just set the whole top about 3/8" below the saw top to allow miter bars to pass. I am doing a shop refresh and this thing will probably end up dedicated. If so I will bring it level and route miter bar clearance slots.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    Mine is also an assembly table so it gets wheeled around. The height is adjustable but, I wasn't sure it would stay an outfeed so I just set the whole top about 3/8" below the saw top to allow miter bars to pass. I am doing a shop refresh and this thing will probably end up dedicated. If so I will bring it level and route miter bar clearance slots.

Or glue on some 3/8 plywood.
    Bil lD