Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do You Create Your Own Plans or Do You Have a Quality Source For Them?

I do simple projects out of my head. For more complex projects I do a drawing. If the project is symmetrical, such as a chest of drawers, I only draw half for certain views.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

Blog Entries
    As a guy someplace along the early to mid part of the woodworking learning curve, I've found that working from a nice set of plans (including written instructions) can be a really great "teacher" - and one that is basically "free", and is extremely flexible to my schedule.

Over time, project ideas have increasingly called upon skills that I have already learned from one of my early build-from-plan efforts, so I feel confident enough to try it on my own.

When I do want to sketch something out, I usually start free hand with pencil and paper. In some cases, I use MS Excel (with all cells formatted to be perfect squares) as a very simple and accessible "drawing program" (using each cell as a square 1/4 inch, and drawing borders). It's clunky, but effective for the simpler types of things that I build.
    - Bob R.
    Collegeville PA (30 minutes west of Philly)

"Drawing it" it a good part of the fun, don't outsource it! You can use whatever medium strikes your fancy.

For woodworking projects I personally prefer a pencil and paper. Allows a more organic process. CAD is fine, it gets used in my shop for house size things but I don't like to use my software (Sketchup and Chief Architect) on small stuff because its slower than just using a pencil and paper.

I tried Sketchup too steep learning curve for me, so I draw it out I enjoy that anyway I think the inner meis a draftsman. I use plans mainly to get an idea of proportions I figure they’ve already worked that out.

Unless you use it a lot and/or are very quick learner I think valuable time can be wasted sweating details that won’t be figured out until it’s started. For example joinery.

I generally start with the overall dimensions and sketch from there with pencil and paper. Sometimes I need to build to a certain size, and other times (mostly now) I let my lumber pile drive some of the design. For example, I like to avoid glue ups for drawer fronts and make them out of a single piece. Door panels I like a single piece if possible or at least a glue up from the same board to match color and grain.

I think as your experience increases the trend is normally from more detailed plans to less detailed sketches.

Well there is design, and then there are the detailed plans.

For design, I generally have an idea what I want to build. I then consult my library of woodworking books or google the project for "images," and see if there is a design I like or I might use 2-3 designs and incorporate elements of each.

For plans, I generally modify even the most perfect of plans to suit my home or my stature. As stated, I'll incorporate various design elements into the plans. Then I'll draw something up on 1/4" graph paper. For detailed or complicated stuff, I draw out joinery or the piece full size on large graph paper or a sheet of 1/8" melamine.

I wish I could do CAD, but the learning curve seems steep and the prices of the software are too much for me, as compared to how often I would use it.
    Regards,

Tom

Blog Entries
    Unless it’s a very simple project I always make my own plans using CAD. These days I always use a solid modeler (OnShape is my current go to - it’s free, easy and I can access it from any browser on any computer or my phone). I have professional solid modelers but I don’t need any of the fancy stuff they have for my woodworking projects.
    Even if I‘ve found some plans I will modify them and draw it out. Usually I either see a picture of something and make my own version or just start drawing out what I want.
    I’m an old engineer so the solid modelers don’t require much of a learning curve anymore for me. But if you’re not familiar with them then it can be a bit of a learning curve. But it is definitely a skill worth learning.

I look at lots of pictures of things like what I think I'd like to build, then I do simple pencil and paper 2D drawings. They are not at the level of "plans", more like overall dimensions. I stick with a pretty basic set of joinery; mortise and tenon and dovetails so I don't feel any need to draw out joints, the basic dimensions don't change from project to project. I've never found a "plan" that I didn't think I could improve, or more importantly, that SWMBO didn't actually improve.

I struggled through several projects with Sketchup and have concluded it's just not worth the effort. It's way harder to think in 3d than in 2 and then harder to build from a 3d plan.

I work from sketches to start and then do drawings on paper. Yes, old fashioned but works for me. The drawing also helps me think thru the project. From drawings I developed a materials list. I lay out my stock which is typically 4/4 and mark the parts out on the wood. This all lets me pick the best grain and figure.

I have thought about some type of CAD but the amount of time to learn would not be worth it. Everyone has to find a process that works for them.

What Jim Becker said. Good idea to have some basic drawing software, it can be rewarding to draw along with having a print so show
    others
    Epilog Mini 24-45W, Corel Draw X6, Photoshop CS5, Multi Cam CNC

There is a learning to SketchUp, or any drawing/CAD program. I guess I look at it as a skill to be acquired and improved (like hand cutting dovetails), and worth the time invested. There are a number of books and online tutorials on sketchup out there which helps shallow the curve a bit.
    There is a very fine line between “hobby” and “mental illness.” - Dave Barry

+1 for what Roger and Larry said.
    Regards,

Tom

I use others plans for ideas, then for the final project I use pencil and paper. I am building for spouse or children, and nearly always there is some constraint on size that needs to be dealt with. A bookcase that needed to fit one corner of a dorm room for instance (and have a secret compartment, per my daughter's request). A set of adirondack chairs that I just made were a partial exception, most were made using Norm's dimensions. (I did use blind dominos on the arms since I didn't want screw heads there, and built some at 7/8 size for the smaller folk.) Often the design ends up as a blend of things.

What I'm still learning to do: use a story stick instead of a tape measure. It really does work, event better than a fancy drawing. (I am very good at mis-reading a tape.)

Where I still have a long way to go: picking the right board for the right spot (with respect to looks).

Terry T.

Old fashioned pencil and paper for me... I'll have an independent idea or base a piece off of something I saw online or magazine. I sketch the rough dimensions/proportions first, then I will usually do a more detailed drawing with specific measurements, keeping in mind the size and amount of stock I have for a particular project. From there I will usually make a list of the individual pieces, if it's a complicated or large project, so I can keep track of what everything is for during the milling process. If there is a technique or joinery I have not tried before I will rehearse these in scrap pieces before actually building the real thing. Any new jigs for the table saw or pantorouter will get made at that stage.

Although I used professionally a lot CAD on 1980s in DEC PDP11 I cannot understand why a number o people looks to think CAD is a "must have" for a hobbyist woodworker.

I have made all my own projects in the last 30 years, some big ones like my own kitchen, library and dorms. Always used a few leaves for scratches and one or two A4 for the "final" projects. Hand drawed. A few details solved "on the fly".

Anyway I think each one have to choose their way. Probably a number o people find a source of pleasure working with a CAD system, so why not to use it? The same applies to purchase projects, some loves to follow a detailed project from outside. If it is your case, go for them and enjoy!