Thread: bench

bench

How do you think these legs are attached to the bench top?

or better yet ... what are some options ... I'd like to make something similar to this ...

thanks!

bench.jpg

There's probably a horizontal piece between the tops of each pair of legs that you can't see because of the angle of the photo, and then a lag screw through that into the bottom of the top.

Blog Entries
    The legs could also have tenons at the top to fit into mortises on the underside of the top.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Could be mortised or trestle type structure simple top simply bolted on.

Top of legs could have a large dowel...that fits into a hole in the underside of the top....weight of top keeps things together...

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    Top of legs could have a large dowel...that fits into a hole in the underside of the top....weight of top keeps things together...
    Beat me to it.

+1 on this method

I'm thinking Jim K beat all you guys to it. Aren't a dowel and a hole the same as a round M&T? ;0)

Quote Originally Posted by steven c newman View Post
    That's how my bench is attached. The dowels are tapered a little bit to be kind of bullet shaped. That makes guiding them into the holes of the benchtop easier.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt McGill View Post
    How do you think these legs are attached to the bench top?

or better yet ... what are some options ... I'd like to make something similar to this ...

thanks!

bench.jpg
    Matt, usually Roubo benches are attached with a mortice and tenon joint. In some cases, these are via a through mortice. The fact is, the tops are so heavy that the tenon can be small - just large enough to secure movement in the horizontal. This makes it easier if you should ever need to dissemble the bench.

That is the case with my Roubo. The tenons are 1” high, and 3” x 2” ...

The joint is pinned - not draw bored - making it easy to drill out.

It’s been rock solid for the past 8 years.

Regards from Perth

Derek

There are lots of ways to attach a bench top on a roubo. My guess would be mortise and tenon… although the fact that they did not use M&T for the bottom stretchers makes me wonder. Regardless, it is a very nice looking bench. Just needs some holes in the top so you can hold the work down! I would think that M&T would be the most common way to attach a roubo top, but other people here would know better than I would.

I have a split-top roubo, which complicates the top attachment slightly. The tenons are 3-1/2 by 1-1/2 by 2 inches tall. Because its’ a split top, the two tops are lagged into oversized holes on the top stretchers. The lag holes are oversized to allows for movement (because it’s a split top, the expansion and contraction is at the center of the bench instead of the outer edges). The tenons are not glued and the top could be just lifted off if the lags were removed.

bench m and t.jpg

I think there are only two rules with attaching a bench top.
    1) make sure the top is solidly secured for working
    2) make sure it will accommodate wood movement

Blog Entries
    My guess would be mortise and tenon… although the fact that they did not use M&T for the bottom stretchers makes me wonder.
    Pocket screws! Great big pocket screws.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Pocket screws! Great big pocket screws.

jtk

I think Jim's been drinking.

Mortise & Tenon with a one lag bolt on each end

As Derek illustrated, the legs likely have tenons and mortises are in the top. My bench has top and bottom rails on the ends with one lag screw in an over-sized hole to pull the top down and allow for movement. I honestly think gravity would have done the trick. In my case the tenons are not pegged or glued so if I ever want to take the top off, I just back out the lag screws and line-up the young guns to lift the top off.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Matt,

All the means mentioned above will work, most have strong points and weakness as well. It doesn't take much to hold the slab in place because of its weight. Four 5/8" dowels will do the job as will pegged thru M/T or even lag bolts.

The easiest is blind pegged 5/8" or larger dowels with the back mortise elongated to allow the slab to move. The only major disadvantage of dowel M/T is you may not be able to lift and move the bench using the slab. A big advantage is the slab is easy to remove if moving is needed.

ken

Let me go off the tracks a bit since you are planning a new bench and offer a few other suggestions;

Move the legs closer to the ends. One day you might set something heavy (an engine) on one end.

Raise the stretchers to mid height or all the way up to be aprons. If aprons they will need to be bigger. This allows me to sweep sawdust underneath for later pickup.

In any case, have a plan for the space under.

It's great to have a 'walk around bench'. Shove the table saw aside.