Thread: Oscillating Edge Sander question

Oscillating Edge Sander question

Can anyone comment about the Grizzly G0564, 6” x 108” sander? I was comparing it to the Hammer HS 950 thinking the Hammer would have a better fit & finish. While nice, I wasn’t impressed with how smoothly the table adjustment worked. The grizzly is slightly larger (which I’d think would cause the belt to run cooler) and has a larger motor. Any thoughts?

thanks

I own the G0563 (thought the 3HP in the G0564 was a tad overkill for a belt sander) and you can see what issues I had with it here: LINK
    That said since then its functioned okay. Had I to do it again I would have probably gone with the Hammer. I have the Hammer N4400 and the A3-31 and Hammer is definitely a step or two above any Grizzly offering IMO.
    If at first you don't succeed, redefine success!

Thanks! That definitely answered my question. I’ve got other Felder equipment that I’m very happy with. Guess I won’t tempt fate and stay with what works!

I have the HS950 and can confirm it is a good build for the money and I am picky, it’s no Oakley or EC but it’s not meant to be. Not sure about your table smoothness comment but the HS950 is smooth and effortless, the belt change is very quick as well

Thanks, those two comments help a lot. I appreciate your perspective on the Hammer, nice to know that maybe what I experienced was a bit of a fluke. Thanks again

We ran a 108” Grizzly for years at our shop and while it wasn’t nice nice it held up to production level abuse for a very long time. We now have a much larger all cast iron 7.5hp beast that is 8ft+ wide and double sided and the tables adjust up and down on q rack and pinion style setup. We still use the Grizzly for odds and ends and it has kept going like a boss. The big 138.5” Grizzly is much better built than some of the smaller units. I would not hesitate one bit to recommend a Grizz. There is not much to an edge sander. One thing that would be important to me would be having either a rack and pinion or worm gear style table adjustment. And good dust collection ports.

Curious if anyone has had experience with the 6x80 Benchtop Edge Sander from Grizzly?

The Model G1531

I’m short on shop space and I wanted to put in on top of a 44” rolling tool cabinet.

I have the G1140 floor stand version. It has been a great machine to have in the shop. I am amazed how often is use it for quick adjustment, final edging, I contour fly fishing net handles with it etc etc etc. I built a mobile cart for it and is stable but seems it may be a bit top heavy if not attached securely to your rolling cabinet. Consider working height and also consider the size of material you will be sanding--the platen is a bit short sometimes for longer edging--cabinet doors etc--. I plan to upgrade to an oscillating machine and have seen the Griz versions in the showroom and the G064 looks good but the Hammer shown here looks nice as well. Likely the Griz for me as I can pick it up at the showroom. Good luck shopping