Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Variable Speed Drill Press Question

Walker Turner and Clausing and probably others, made a drill press designed to be hung from the ceiling for unlimited throat depth. I did see a picture of a jig saw like that with a spring tied to the ceiling and the other end to the top of the blade.
    Bill D

Wow Thanks for all the links Bill!

Another vote here for the Nova Voyager. Went from a mid-70's Rockwell with 4 speeds and no rack and pinion table raising mechanism. Too many times I just left it on whatever speed it was set on and drilled away, except for really large bits. Never seen or felt the Nova slow down when hogging large holes in hard material, and it will even select the speed for you.
    Something to consider.

Good to know! Can you override its speed selection if you want a specific speed for some reason? Thanks

Yes, you can over ride the speeds. It is so easy to turn a small knob and change speed and the display shows the speed.

I'm case you can not tell by my posts, I really love this machine. My old Jet had excessive quill slop and I hated changing speed with the step pulleys.

I am looking at up grading it with a linear actuators to change table height.

Voyager all the way or some other electronic method of speed control.

If anything, it just encourages safe practice, meaning that I won't take a shortcut and not adjust the speed where it should be because belt pulley changing is a pain in the behind.

With the Voyager, I just turn the knob and adjust the drilling speed for every circumstance, because it is zero aggravation to do so. Such a pleasure and I've never had "power problems" while doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Frank View Post
    I am looking at up grading it with a linear actuators to change table height.
    What are you referring to with "linear actuator" is that a specific product if so made by the same company? Thanks

Fancy CNC lathes automatically increase the rpm as the work starts getting to a smaller diameter. This keeps it a constant foot per minute speed for most efficient removal rates.
    Bil lD

I tried a linear actuator on my old DP. It cocked the table so I had to keep one hand on the front of the table pressing up as the table rose.
    Bill D

Ahhhh... thanks Bill, wasn't familiar. I see!

On some of the reviews (albeit older ones) that I've seen it's stated that the Nova Voyager requires a PC computer to access or program certain features...does anyone know if this is still correct, or is it also Mac compatible? Not sure why you would need a computer to program a DP,,, but curious, as I'm a Mac user....Thanks!

You need a PC to upgrade the Voyager's firmware. Some versions added new features, so I guess you could say, if you bought an older, used Voyager, you need a PC to upgrade firmware and add the new features.

But once upgraded, you can access the new features from the user interface on the Voyager itself.

Mine came with the latest firmware, so I have not hooked up a PC to my Voyager. The cable is included to connect your PC to the Voyager.

-- Andy - Arlington TX

Was wondering if I could shift the discussion little regarding the Voyager. Those of you who have one... do you use it strictly for woodworking related tasks or do you do any machining with it like end mill work. I'm excluding the standard drill a hole in metal function. If that is a stupid question... sorry I am a woodworker not a machinest. I know drill presses arn't designed to have a lot of side pressure but I have never done any end milling so I am not that familiar with the requirements. If inappropriate I can start another thread.

I wouldn’t put a milling head into any tapered fitting without a drawbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek Cohen View Post
    Chris, you are so right. The Voyager was conceived of as a drill press for the woodworker. Why then did they leave a table designed for a metal worker?

Fortunately, we are woodworkers, and can build our own tables. This one is made of UHMW ...

I have since replaced the fence as well, and added a Wixey laser.

Regards from Perth

Derek
    Perhaps that's why they didn't build a 'table for woodworkers?' Because they knew woodworker would build their own table anyway.