Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Variable Speed Drill Press Question

Variable Speed Drill Press Question

Just want to start out by saying I am probably on the lazy side so just start there. I currently have a Delta floor standing drill press with the step pully speed control system. I find I am constantly going from a slow speed to a much higher speed and back again. I was considering getting a more "automatic" variable speed drill press. I see there are mechanical variable speed types and electronic types. It appears that one drawback of the electronic is you can lose torque at lower speeds and the mechanical circumvents this. Those of you who have one of these style, can you tell me your experience and why you like the one method over the other? Also can you tell me the brand of drill press you ended up with and how you lke it? Thanks

Put a three phase motor and VFD on your DP. Leave it in the middle range.
    bil lD

I have one w/VFD on my lathe and like it. I just assumed the motor on the drill press would have specific mounting needs. On my lathe I have a home made motor mount and a generic 3 phase motor matched to the VDF. I suppose I should look more closely at the motor on the drill press ha ha I assume you have done this... if so what horse power did you end up with? Thanks Bill

I have the Nova Voyager drill press and do not notice and loss of torque at lower rpm. This is a tool in my shop that I really enjoy using. Before, changing speed with a step pulley was such a pain. Now, I change speed all the time with a turn of the knob.

That sounds pretty cool!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark R Webster View Post
    I have one w/VFD on my lathe and like it. I just assumed the motor on the drill press would have specific mounting needs. On my lathe I have a home made motor mount and a generic 3 phase motor matched to the VDF. I suppose I should look more closely at the motor on the drill press ha ha I assume you have done this... if so what horse power did you end up with? Thanks Bill

I have a one horsepower motor on my drillpress. I bought it with no motor as a trade for a nice pipe cutter and no money at the used tool store. Lucky they still had the pulley. In 15 years I have yet to change the pulley from middle speed ratio. I have the vfd set from 30-100HZ. I figure at 30 HZ I probably have 1/2 Horsepower. At 100 HZ I figure roughly 1.5HP. I grew up with a 1/3Hp drillpress as a kid. The only critical thing is the shaft size and the pulley bore. On my mill drill I had to bore out the motor pulley from metric to English. I just used an adjustable reamer. The piloted kind. The pulley never had a keyway so I left it like that.
    You can now buy VFD's that use 120 volts in and get three phase 220 output.
    Bill D
    Last edited by Bill Dufour; 06-20-2020 at 8:54 PM.

Yes that is what I did with my lathe's VFD (i use 220) and get 3 phase. Thanks Bill

Pretty much any powertool, including a drillpress, that came from the factory as three phase is better then what most stores sell today if it fits your needs. Bigger stronger, longer quill stroke, etc. Not much to go wrong on a three phase motor.
    Bil lD.

Very true thanks Bill

I am with Larry. I also have a Nova Voyager and consider it one of my better power tool purchases. Reach up and set the speed I want. Never noticed any loss of torque at slow speeds with the Nova. I have drilled 3/4" holes in 1/2" steel plate at a couple hundred RPM. Digital readout to show you how deep you are drilling is really handy also.

For 20 plus years I used a generic 3/4 hp Taiwan-made drill press. It was a real work horse and essential tool in the workshop. 16 speeds and a pain to change the belts! So I used it on a middle speed and destroyed many larger forstner bits with overheating. Wood sometimes burned. I learned to slow the speed down for the larger bits, but then this was too slow for small twist bits .... and so on.

About a year ago I splashed out on the Nova Voyager. I am not suggesting that others do the same. It is a great drill press but pricey and not necessary .. but I love it . The point is that the variable speed is just wonderful, and drill bits are easy to set up at the correct speed. This makes a difference to the quality of work. Adding a VDF sounds a good idea.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thanks Robert and Derek. I value both opinions I appreciate your sharing your experience.
    Mark

Blog Entries
    A Voyager would be wonderful to have and if you are headed that way, by all means proceed. If you are vacillating about a lesser god, I have priorities when it comes to drill presses. That is why I still have a 17" Delta that I got for $300 (this doesn't mean I don't lust after and lie in wait for a windfall that will get me a Voyager).

Minimal runout - If there is unacceptable runout, I don't care what else the machine has to offer, I'll pass.
    Decent power - If it has minimal runout but, can't spin a circle cutter or a large Forstner, it is of no use to me.
    Good swing - 17" is a sweet spot for me, I would take more. For a machine that had less, minimal runout, decent power and variable speed would be required to loosen my wallet.
    Variable speed - A luxury; I guess some machines are terrible to change speeds on, mine takes a couple moments.

In short, I would not give up runout, power or capacity just to get variable speed. that being said . . . I would love a Voyager ;-)

P.s. A good depth stop is a requirement BUT, I figured out how to build one that works great so, it is no longer a deal breaker . . . since I can fix it ;-)
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 06-20-2020 at 10:05 PM.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

The other things about the Nova Voyager DVR....The runout is was only about 0.002" the best I could measure with a dial indicator . The 6" travel is great and even with quill extended run out was minimal .

Yes, it is not cheap but a fine tool!

I have a Delta (at least that's what the name says) benchtop radial drill press. It came with a 1/3 h.p. motor and 5 speeds. The lowest speed was 550 R.P.M. which is too fast for many woodworking tasks. I recently bought a 1/2 h.p. 3 phase motor and VFD. The step pulley on the motor has a metric bore 15 mm I think so couldn't use it on the new motor. The motor's shaft is long enough that I was able to slide the drive pulley to match the driven step pulley. I selected the lowest speed and have the VFD maxing out at 90 Hz. I find around 10 Hz. gives me adequate torque for everything I've tried so far and speed around 200 r.p.m. I debated putting the $200 the motor and VFD cost toward a new drill press but decided I didn't want the hassle plus the drill press is sitting on a wheeled cabinet that gives me good storage. So far so good on the present setup.