Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 or 3 hp

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    I have the Vic 240, and an early AB. I like both of them. The Vic has 2 hp, the AB has 3 hp. I notice no difference in torque between them. No clue as to why. Both have the 3 speed pulleys, which Robust did away with. I prefer the 3 speed ranges. The problem with the 2 speed pulleys is that I frequently want higher speeds for turning smaller bowls. The low speed range isn't high enough. When in the high speed range, the 2 speed lathes do not like coring in the high speed range. The mid speed range on the 3 speed lathes is just right. Higher speed for turning smaller bowls and plenty of torque for coring. Oh, I do use the McNaughton. I do not like turning bowls on long bed lathes. Part of this is because I have turned on sliding headstock lathes for 20 years, having purchased one of the first PM3520A models. With a long bed lathe, you have to either extend your arms out away from your body, or lean over the lathe bed. I just like the tool control I get by standing upright and keeping my arms close to my body. I could get used to a long bed lathe, but why would I want to?

There have been claims about sliding headstocks having vibration issues. The theory is that it is because a sliding headstock is not as secure as one that is bolted into place. I think there are 2 explanations for that. One, some of the lathes used small pressure plates under the headstock. With the AB, the pressure plate on mine extended the full length of the headstock base, and there could be a very slight difference in how it sits on the lathe bed, but I think that is very minimal. The other reason is the headstock design. The farther away from the headstock your chuck mounts, the longer that lever is and the more tendency there is for vibration issues. That difference between my Vic and my AB is almost 2 inches. The vibration is a no issue thing if the tailstock is engaged. So fine for heavy roughing. A bit of an issue if you are coring or doing heavy roughing on the inside of a big bowl with no tailstock. It is less of an issue for fine finish cuts if you know how to do a very light bevel rub. I have also heard that the lathe bed can flex while doing heavy roughing. I slide my headstock down as far as I can get it so it is close to sitting over the legs. You won't get any measurable flexing near the legs. If you have a very long bed lathe and have it set up in the middle, you could have some minor issues.

Maybe if I fiddled around with it a lot more, I could get the tilt away on my AB to line up almost perfectly with the bed so I could engage the tailstock when turning and keep it on the tilt away. I have not been able to do that. That would solve any vibration issues except for coring with the McNaughton because on most bowls that I core, the tailstock is in the way so I have to remove it.

Not huge issues, but some thing to consider as they do make a difference.

robo hippy
    Thank you. I think you answered my biggest question.

Go with 2hp. Use the savings vs 3hp to buy some tools/accessories.- John

If I didn't say this before, Thank you. I think you've answered my most impt question.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Sinai View Post
    Thank you. Don’t think I’ve seen any complaints abt the G0766. Would be on a very short list if not for the size. Any experience changing belts? Thx again.
    Changing the belt from one set of pulleys to the other is easy and takes less than a minute. No tools required. Completely replacing the belt will involve taking 4 phillips screws out of a cover plate and then sliding the belt off the pulleys. Easily done.

Thx

Quote Originally Posted by Robert D Evans View Post
    Changing the belt from one set of pulleys to the other is easy and takes less than a minute. No tools required. Completely replacing the belt will involve taking 4 phillips screws out of a cover plate and then sliding the belt off the pulleys. Easily done.
    Thank you. I think I've seen some where you almost had to remove the entire spindle.