Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pair of Stickley lost end tables

Pair of Stickley lost end tables

A while ago I made a Stickley 962 server, and figured I needed some end tables to go with it, and saw Bob Lang's article on the lost end tables and figured why not.

20200619_192905.jpg

The only things I changed were the pulls and the thru tenon. I thought both were too squat and plain so I went with the pulls I used on the server and a different thru tenon. And like with the server, I made the drawer fronts and the bottom rail from the same piece of wood.

_MG_7466.jpg _MG_7510.jpg

As it turns out, I don't particularly like the thru tenon I made either. Some day I'll learn to do mock ups and models. I cut the top rails with the tenon jig and a sacrificial fence canted back 3 degrees and it worked fine. Had to reset for each of the 4 tenons and sneak up on the cut, but it was worth it. The angled shoulders for the bottom stretcher I cut by hand using a 3 degree guide block.

20200511_114300.jpg 20200520_181451.jpg

I used the router table with a shim piece double taped to the table to give me the 3 degree pitch of the thru mortises, and this worked better than I expected. I was surprised how well it went with the test piece, and the final mortises were just as good. And the trusty Porter Cable saw delivered the 3 degree cuts on the ends of the top.

20200517_150635.jpg 20200607_162613.jpg

Sanding the curves of the bottom rails was pretty easy. I use neoprene with a self stick back on a dowel rod to sand curves. As a matter of fact that neoprene gets used often in the shop, and in my wife's glass shop.

20200517_161606.jpg

tbc..............
    Stand for something, or you'll fall for anything.

I cut the drawer sides at 3 degrees and ripped the drawer fronts at 3 degrees as well and cut the dovetails in the usual fashion. I wish I could come up with an easier way to finish the drawer fronts than using all that blue tape - open to all suggestions.

20200613_122335.jpg 20200609_173200.jpg

The Stanley scraper I got at a garage sale worked great on the glue lines of the top, and my #4 did a very nice job smoothing it out.

20200525_092143-2.jpg

Everything was pre-finished (except the drawers) as usual, and planing the drawers was a beeze with the wide jaws of my moxon.

20200529_200102.jpg 20200607_133448.jpg

It was a nice time building these. Had a lot of fun.

_MG_7503.jpg

Those look good Bill! Love the figure.

Very nice high gloss floor too!
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Great looking tables... You can be proud of those. Great Craftsmanship.
    Army Veteran 1968 - 1970
    I Support the Second Amendment of the US Constitution

Very nice Bill...the taped off dovetails worked very well. I am in the process of building a master dresser with 9 drawers and had the same dilemma of how to stain the sides of the drawer front boards. The finish schedule I use does a dye first, so I was worried if I tried to tape off the dovetails the dye would bleed through. I decided to leave the whole side natural, and just stain the front and top of the front board. I taped and masked off the front board and applied clear finish to the drawers. I have not stained the fronts yet, so I will have to see how it works out. I am hoping finishing the end grain first will help prevent dye from bleeding through.

I think the best way would have been to rabbet the sides of the front drawer, and just stain the outer portion of the front board side. This is what Stickley does in their furniture today. But I was to lazy too do the rabbet.

Found a picture of the Stickley drawers:

https://i0.wp.com/readwatchdo.com/wp...wrFRT_0856.jpg
    Last edited by Christian Hawkshaw; 06-20-2020 at 6:21 PM. Reason: spelling and picture link
    Chris

Really striking, and nice to have a matched set. It's nice to see what happens to the pictures of the hanging parts you shared in the finishing threads

Bruce

Two very attractive tables Bill. Your quartersawn oak really shines on this project.

Clean work Bill, plus the ray and flecks of the oak are brought out just beautifully. I have to get better or better organized at any rate to do more pre finishing as I go along. It does seem to pay off.
    David

Great job bill I love Stickley furniture

Beautiful tables and great wood!

Great looking tables. Very well done. Where did you source the lumber?

Wow, missed this thread somehow. Beautiful tables Bill. Very nicely done.

I have a Stanley scraper as well. I think it’s a bit underrated. When tuned, it works wonders.
    Last edited by Phil Mueller; 07-23-2020 at 6:10 AM.

Thx for the kind words gents. Turns out I forgot about this thread as well. The qswo came front Cassen's Lumber in Lafeyette indiana

Nice job. I really like quatersawn oak.
    Charlie Jones

Very nice. Maybe if I’m over your way I’ll reach out and see about a visit. We both like stogies and A&C furniture. The brotherhood of QSWO so to speak.
    Sharp solves all manner of problems.