Thread: Help deciding between the Kreg or Grizzly 14" bandsaw fence

Help deciding between the Kreg or Grizzly 14" bandsaw fence

I was just about to pull the trigger on the Kreg KMS7200 bandsaw fence, but then I saw that the Grizzly H7587 resaw fence beat the Kreg in a Fine Woodworking article tool test.

https://cdn0.grizzly.com/pdf/fw_bdswfnc_11-12.pdf

There is a price difference of about $40 more for the Grizzly. I'm just curious if anyone has experience with the Grizzly? I don't have the opportunity to play with either one since no one locally has them in stock, so I'll be strictly going off reviews. I'm sure either will fit the bill for what I'm doing, but just want to get some opinions before I make the purchase.

Thanks!

Make sure each fence works with your blade slot (parallel vs perpendicular to fence) in the table. There was a post here on SMC in the last year or so by someone who bought the Kreg fence and found it incompatible with his table.

https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-slot-conflict
    Last edited by Brian Tymchak; 06-19-2020 at 2:44 PM. Reason: found the post
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Thanks for the heads up Brian. It's going on an older Delta USA 14", so both should work.

My Grizzly bandsaw came with that style fence an the main thing I don't like about it is the black locking handle is in the wrong spot. When released it's tilted up and in the way of any wood you have up against the fence. So if you have a board with a mark on it and you want to line it up with the blade it will hit the handle when in the release position. I, like others, made an adapter that changes the angle of the handle so it's not in the way.

Blog Entries
    This must be a banner day. This will be the third time I have posted this simple fix . . . TODAY!?! Must be something in the water.

Remove the handle.

Handel-off.jpg

Drill, Forstner and chisel a piece of hardwood scrap and dig up a bolt and washer.

route-back.jpg

This is the locked position.

locked.jpg

This is the unlocked position. You can adjust the fence without any interference.

unlocked.jpg

I've had it this way for so long I forget about it until one of these threads comes along. This is the third one today.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

I have the 7587 on my 14" Grizzly G0555LX and it works well. A few things though. First, is what Alex alluded to but what Glenn fixed, which is what I'm going to do. Second, if you are planning on keeping it upright all the time, I had to replace the socket cap screw on the left side of the upper blade guide casting with a set screw because the fence would butt up against it and not allow for thin width cuts. Third, if you lay it on its side you have the potential to lose some width in the material you can cut. Other than that it's a fine fence.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    This must be a banner day. This will be the third time I have posted this simple fix . . . TODAY!?! Must be something in the water.

Remove the handle.

Handel-off.jpg

Drill, Forstner and chisel a piece of hardwood scrap and dig up a bolt and washer.

route-back.jpg

This is the locked position.

locked.jpg

This is the unlocked position. You can adjust the fence without any interference.

unlocked.jpg

I've had it this way for so long I forget about it until one of these threads comes along. This is the third one today.
    I was hoping you would post your pictures of the fix. I think you were the one who inspired me to do a very similar fix.

Quote Originally Posted by Gabriel Garcia View Post
    It's going on an older Delta USA 14", so both should work.

The Kreg will definitely work on the older Delta 14" saw(mine has Hex guide post). I looked at the Kreg for a long time and one day it came up on Amazon for $60.00 so I pulled the trigger. So far so good.
    "Only those who have the patience to do simple things perfectly will acquire the skill to do difficult things easily.”
    Friedrich von Schiller (1759-1805)

"Quality means doing it right when no one is looking."
    Henry Ford