Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Quality of work and finish

It's a reasonable question, and as the answers suggest, an individual choice for each situation. But it definitely is not a question of how good a job you are doing, as in some situations overdoing the finish is less good. For instance, finishing the insides of drawers with oil based finishes can make them stink for decades. But you should be aware of all the ways a user can interact with all the parts of the piece (touching reachable parts of the bottom of a table, for instance) and make a choice you think is appropriate.

The upside of not being in the Navy; you get to "waste" your time anyway you want. You get to make all of the decisions. you don't need any ones permission or approval.

If you are making for yourself; If it's okay with you ... then it's okay with you!

If you are doing it for a customer; then it has to be good enough for them. That's all it has to be.

You can of course do much more if you like, the customer wont stop you; they wont pay you any more, but they wont stop you from doing more.

Think of sanding places where no one will see as gluing $100 bills (Your $100 bills.) on the back of a built in wall unit, knowing that you customers will never know they are there.

If that makes you happy who can argue with you.

Reason for me asking is that while I'm working on a shelf project for my wife's boss I got to thinking how other people, hobbyists, professionals, anal people with OCD finish their projects. I'm not getting paid anything for this project, it's just something my wife asked me to do for the office where she works.

I'm definitely finishing all surfaces whether you can see them or not, and I don't feel that I'm wasting my time. I believe that when people look at something I've made it should be a good thing when they say "look at the job he did on this".

Was just curious how other people did it.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Jerry, life is short.. make your own rules, and always remember the wisdom of the disco.

i usually finish all sides - but i was once told that the wall will never tell
    jerry
    jerry

I'm in the "price to build,build to price" camp. I am picky about the bottom of table tops having the same finish as the top, but I charge for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    Here we go again. Why do woodworkers need a definitive answer to these kinds of things and why are some people so quick to provide one?

Sometimes the piece demands finishing even the unseen parts, sometimes not. Why is that obvious only to me.

I have made enough tables to know that if the bottom is not finished properly, you will feel it with your fingers.

If I know my audience or client is discerning or just deserves my attention to the tiniest details, I will go all the way.
    I'm pretty new here, but I think it's a good question.

I mostly make pieces for our house. Time is a premium for me, and I hate sanding. So, I don't go as far on the seldom seem parts.

But I do make sure all parts are covered with finish.

Quote Originally Posted by Clifford McGuire View Post
    I'm pretty new here, but I think it's a good question.

I mostly make pieces for our house. Time is a premium for me, and I hate sanding. So, I don't go as far on the seldom seem parts.

But I do make sure all parts are covered with finish.
    Prashun's post just goes around in circles when the real answer is simply if your in the hobby world, and what your making is for you, do whatever you like. Take 2 years to build a nightstand, if your happy, all is good. If you are in the hobby and making something as a favor for someone for free, and you are trying to streamline the process because you are not being compensated?... Your very smart to ask and consider how much is ridiculous (if someone is asking they question they are likely already in the ridiculous camp). If your making something for a customer, the specifications you quoted them will directly dictate what level you go to. It matters not what you "wanted" for the part, what you "think is best" for the part, nada, none, nil, matters. Unless the customer is trying to force you to make something that will be a guaranteed failure and compromise your integrity, you make to the specification (price point), document it, and walk away (hopefully with money in your pocket). If your lucky enough to be on these commissioned blank check jobs thats wonderful but I will almost guarantee you those can often times be $10/hr jobs because the maker obsesses about every little thing and the final bill, while in-sane expensive, spreadsheet's out to low wage.

Balanced finishes are a no brainer. Does someone hand scrape the bottom surface to match the top? Carcass interior to match exterior? Foolish.

The answer to the entire thing is pretty simple, its what are the specifications of the part being made. A honey-doo job around the house still has specifications. A set of shop cabinets has specifications. And a "commissioned" part has specifications.