Thread: Adding a DRO to a planer

Adding a DRO to a planer

This weekend I'm going to add a igaging DRO to my 1003X. I've been reading up on it and it seams that the problems some people face is that the DRO needs to be electrically isolated from the planer and the USB cable needs to be upgraded to a shielded one. Has anyone else done this or is this more of a problem the metalworking guys see? I know where I'm going to install it and was thinking of using some 1" plexiglass to isolate it. Does just the actual measuring part of the DRO need to be isolated or should both ends of the rule also need it? It would be easier not to do it but I would rather not have to install some form of isolation after the fact.

I added the Wixey to my 1033X and didn't consider any shielding. Wasn't aware of any need for it. It works just fine but find that my habit of reaching for the calipers is a tough one to break.

The DRo and the scales should be grounded and bonded together and to the machine as well. That would mainly be for static issues which I would not really expect if the planer is grounded properly. planer and jointer chips can often carry a static charge and hold on to that charge for a long time. That is how the cling to stuff so well.

I have an iGaging DRO on a Jet JJP-12. The display is attached to a wooden triangle affair. The display has a magnet on the back, I attached a bit of metal to the triangle for the display to stick to. It works well, does what I want it to do. Battery life is great, 2 CR2032 last about 2 years.
    Attached Images Attached Images

1033X has a pedestal mounted power switch which is were I'm going to mount the display. The magnet on the back isn't going to work so I mounted one to the bottom that'll hold it to the top of the pedestal very well.