Thread: Pocket Screws

Pocket Screws

For all you users of pocket screws, does anyone use anything other than Kreg?

I'm interested in Armor Tool. Any opinions?
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

Curious as well. I have been using various Kreg Jigs for years, I don't use pocket holes as much as I used to, but they are handy and quick.

I am happy with my Kreg K4, R3 and Mini. Don't see much reason to switch other than if I wanted to get a system like the Kreg Foreman to make them much faster.

Are you looking to switch from Kreg, or is this a first purchase?

McFeely's offers square-drive screws in a variety of head formats. Search their site. https://www.mcfeelys.com/

BobV

I recently saw the Armor and didn't think it was significantly better or worse than my Kreg. It seems like the color coded screws are a little gimmicky. Also, my Kreg sometimes calls for a different screw length when joining dissimilar thickness pieces.

No dog in this fight but I find the Kreg system very well thought through. You can find their screws, jigs, and related accessories at many retailers. I have no complaints in the applications that I've used them on. Searching for Armor dealers they are only in bigger cities. I couldn't see on their website if they are made here or not. For pocket holes I think Kreg is hard to beat.

Find a local or semi local source for off brand sold to cab shops. Mcfeely is insane expensive. If your buying 50-100 count boxes your stuck but if you can buy larger 2m boxes they are dirt cheap and quality is fine.

Our favorite pocket screws are Castle, followed by McFeely's, followed by Kreg.

I'd just like to find some that aren't Robertson, the torx heads on GRKs etc hold much better. Then again, I use them so infrequently that it's not a huge issue.

Also, the last screws I got from McFeelys were disappointing, in that the heads were much softer than they used to be (and yes, I compared them back to back.. I just needed a different color cabinet screw).
    ~mike

happy in my mud hut

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Dindner View Post
    Curious as well. I have been using various Kreg Jigs for years, I don't use pocket holes as much as I used to, but they are handy and quick.

I am happy with my Kreg K4, R3 and Mini. Don't see much reason to switch other than if I wanted to get a system like the Kreg Foreman to make them much faster.

Are you looking to switch from Kreg, or is this a first purchase?
    Not a first purchase. I have a Kreg R3 and while using it yesterday got to wondering what others use and their opinions. Don't have a lot invested so if I switched I wouldn't be losing much.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I use Kreg screws.

1) Kreg screws have a self drilling tip, which prevents the receiving piece from mushrooming or splitting. That's really important with splitty woods like oak.
    2) Kreg screws tend to be cheaper than equivalent quality other screws.
    3) Kreg screws are not threaded under the head to allow the pieces to be pulled together. They're more like 'wood screws' than general fasteners.

In fact I love them so much I use them even for non-pocket hole applications if I can accomodate the washer head. (for things that require 1 1/4" or 1 1/2" screws)
    Last edited by Prashun Patel; 06-19-2020 at 11:22 AM.

I bought a "highly populated" box of pocket screws from McFeeley's years ago and have been more than happy with them...I don't expect to run out of them anytime soon. Like Prashun, I use them for alternative applications, sometimes, one of which is for hold-down purposes on my CNC machine as well as for jigs, fixtures and other assemblies that I don't want to or need to countersink for the regular McFeeley's screws I use for general assembly.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I have both Kreg & McFeeley's screws and prefer the McFeeley's. I bought thousands of them years ago, so no chance of running out soon. However, it's really easy to get Kreg screws in local stores now. Back then it wasn't. I invested heavily in the 1-1/4" "Super 8's" that built all of the cabinets in my home.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry Bruette View Post
    Not a first purchase. I have a Kreg R3 and while using it yesterday got to wondering what others use and their opinions. Don't have a lot invested so if I switched I wouldn't be losing much.
    Are you asking about the jig alternatives or specifically about screws or both?
    Brian

"Any intelligent fool can make things bigger or more complicated...it takes a touch of genius and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction." - E.F. Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Tymchak View Post
    Are you asking about the jig alternatives or specifically about screws or both?
    Jigs 567890