Thread: RIP Vera Lynn

RIP Vera Lynn

Dame Vera Lynn: Forces' Sweetheart dies aged 103

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-53091856

I will never be able to disassociate the song from the final scene of Dr. Strangelove. https://youtu.be/cIpTE-aHEZ0

She lived a long life and left the world a little better place for her efforts.
    Cant ask for much better than that.
    RIP Dame Vera.

(Kevin, that song invokes Strangelove for me too. )
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

“Does anybody here remember Vera Lynn? Remember how she said that we would meet again some sunny day.”

Vera, Vera, what has become of you? Does anybody else in here feel the way I do?

She was one of my Dad's favorites.

Old enough to remember. RIP, Vera. 103 sets the bar pretty high.

My Favorite The White Cliffs of Dover.

Mark,

That one teared me up. My uncle Bud flew Spitfires in the Battle of Britain, and was shot down near there. Luckily rescued by a fishing boat.

Later he flew fighter cover for bombers attacking as far as Germany.
    He was an American who joined the Canadian RAF, was later transferred to the RAF, then when the U.S. got into the war he became USAAF for the remainder of the war.
    Rick Potter

DIY journeyman,
    FWW wannabe.
    AKA Village Idiot.

Hi Rick,
    Gets me all the time.
    Spitfires give me chills.
    I grew up in Folkestone and went to school in Dover.
    My mum was from Folkestone and my dad was a Canadian that signed up and was sent to England for training before heading over to Europe.
    I heard a lot of stories mostly from my mum, my dad didn't talk about it too much. The Germans bombed the crap out of England, my mum told us about the sounds of the bombers flying overhead, and the air raid sirens and everyone running to the air raid shelters, and the sound that the V-1 Flying bombs going over, and the aftermath of the bomb raids. She told us that the Germans didn't take any bombs back home and would dump whatever they had left on Folkestone before heading back across the channel.

Dad was in the Royal Artillery

75204597_10157861684207422_4849055031082614784_n.jpg73537400_10157861684152422_5307853977491079168_n.jpg