Thread: source for CnC project patterns you can sell

source for CnC project patterns you can sell

Hello all, I have been working with a shop that uses a CnC to cut all of my ply parts when I make kitchens.
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sources to get premade CnC patters that you can sell after they are done. I want to look into 2D things first as its my understanding that 3d carvings are very slow to make on CnC machines. My guy wants $100 per hr on his machine (seems super fair seeing the machine must be well over 50k to buy) Still the carvings say they take from 1-8 hrs.
    So as far as 2D projects I want to start with those and buy plans that have been already tested. Anyone know good places for that .

What exactly are you looking for? Parts for kitchen cabinets or just 2d objects in general? You can buy files at places like ETSY and ebay. Are you wanting to buy files to have your cnc guy cut for you to then sell? If so that is going to be very hard to do getting files that everyone else is getting and then paying a 3rd party to cut them for you. Most people with cnc have the software and design their own projects.

Related to this, there are pre-created 2D and 3D models that are royalty free for personal use, royalty free for small scale "maker" use and licenced for commercial use with or without restrictions...in general with variations. If you're going to be selling stuff, it's important to understand the license for anything you acquire from any source...the fine print matters. This includes bitmaps, vector drawings and other formats that you might create your own models from, too, especially if they are recognizable. Sports and university logos are another area where one must be very careful. Some universities have craft licensing programs for small makers; some do not. My alma matter does not so I can't incorporate their logos on ANYTHING I make for others to sell and I cannot afford the licensing necessary and the requirements that come with it, either.

The CAD/CAM software you use may have a library of graphics you can start with that are permissible to use for small scale sales. If I'm not mistaken, Vectric's library is like that. What you have available for free will vary with which level application you have licensed from them.

BTW, my CNC shop rate is also $100/hr, although my regular clients get consideration because of the repeat business they bring...and 3D work can take a long time, even on a "fast" machine. Some models I cut for a client early last year after creating the models in Aspire took 7-8 hours per piece to cut! They were not small and were pretty involved.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

Quote Originally Posted by andy photenas View Post
    Hello all, I have been working with a shop that uses a CnC to cut all of my ply parts when I make kitchens.
    I was wondering if anyone knows of any good sources to get premade CnC patters that you can sell after they are done. I want to look into 2D things first as its my understanding that 3d carvings are very slow to make on CnC machines. My guy wants $100 per hr on his machine (seems super fair seeing the machine must be well over 50k to buy) Still the carvings say they take from 1-8 hrs.
    So as far as 2D projects I want to start with those and buy plans that have been already tested. Anyone know good places for that .
    Hi Andy,
    At $100 per hour and 1 to 8 hours per part, the dollars are going to add up real fast! Perhaps you might consider buying your own cnc router. You should be able to get a capable machine new in the 6-10K range. Or perhaps a preowned Camaster or equivalent.
    David

Another thing to consider is what you can sell these for. If your cnc guy charges $100 per hour, then for a 3 hour part - including materials, finishing, and your labor - you would probably want to for $500-600 to make any money. Is this feasible, and would this really be worth your time? If you had prepaid orders, then that would be another thing entirely.
    David

David brings up a good point. It can be a struggle to get folks to buy pre-made stuff for the price point that you expect to sell for. There are so many makers that practically give away stuff. Commissioned work is more likely to garner a price that makes it profitable to sell. I'm extremely familiar with both of these scenarios from actual experience over the past two years. While the people who have purchased items from my ETSY store are extremely happy and were willing to pay the price, most people who view appear move on to cheaper alternatives or not buying at all. I stopped pre-producing things now and only cut something if there's an actual paid sale. OTOH, commissioned work from end-consumers and subcontracts have become my preferred and actually profitable and enjoyable flow of business. (Albeit slowed considerably because of the pandemic) I'll take on-offs and regular subcontract work anytime over trying to sell nice stuff like I originally tried. The folks that do make money with pre-made things often have a very specific audience that they can market to successfully or a unique product that doesn't have ten-hundred other folks hawking the same.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

there really are so many things to consider. I was thinking along the lines of testing the market without the huge investment of a cnc machine yet. And ya the premade things are going to be all the same everywhere. Still looking into ideas. i make high end kitchens for a living atm but this virus has hurt me bad. so im looking into how to fit the need somehow ! thanks for the good things to think on guys.

If you make high end kitchens for a living then you probably should be looking at a CNC instead of paying someone else $100 an hour. It is hard enough to make something that you design yourself and have your own equipment to make and would be near impossible to buy files and pay someone else to make them.

The hour long files would only pertain to your 3D parts (which your original post said your not considering at this time). We cut miles of 2D parts for other businesses. The individual parts can average 16" x 16" and under nested on sheets. We dont charge hourly for these but often times the parts depending on quantity will be $4 each sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. I can only imagine you will not find too many people willing to risk their expensive machine to your delivered code if your talking machine ready files. What you will more than likely supply is a drawing that they will then tool path with the tooling and capacity they are comfortable with so you wont necessarily need machine ready files.

My guestimation, depending on the parts you are thinking of, your guy will massively regret his $100 an hour rate if your talking basic 2D vector parts. The load/unload/wrapping will cost more than the run time though I dont know if is $100/hr includes that or not. For simple 2D parts the shop will likely lose its shirt at the $100/hr rate because the total cost of the transaction (from start to finish) will never be profitable unless you are ordering parts in the several hundred/thousand piece quantity.

That said, the price per unit we charge for 2D parts is typically half, if not more than half, of any online source even those with bulk options and we ship large orders occasionally but more often than not all the work is local.

IMHO there is very little market when you factor in profitability on those 3-8 hour carvings. That market is being served either by massive machines, or by very very small machines in hobby/home/retirement shops that think having the machine sitting there machining away for hours at $20/hour is profitable. Its not. Wear and tear, tooling, amortization of machine cost, and so on. Most people doing those high-hour carvings are having more fun playing an less fun looking at their bottom line.

For simple 2 or 2.5D stuff Im not poohpoohing owning your own machine but I would guess you'd be far more profitable farming that work out.

As opposed to looking for royalty free files you may look into some inexpensive software that would allow you to generate your own files quickly to ship to the CNC guy. Would be a much better option short and long term in my opinion and would get your head around whats possible and not, likely cut some cost/headache of a third party, and allow you to feel it out.
    Last edited by Mark Bolton; 06-20-2020 at 10:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andy photenas View Post
    there really are so many things to consider. I was thinking along the lines of testing the market without the huge investment of a cnc machine yet. And ya the premade things are going to be all the same everywhere. Still looking into ideas. i make high end kitchens for a living atm but this virus has hurt me bad. so im looking into how to fit the need somehow ! thanks for the good things to think on guys.

I would say - if you want to test the market, then perhaps have your supplier make a batch of items you think may sell and offer them for sale - Etsy, Ebay, etc. You will find out soon enough if there is interest in your product.
    David

Seems having someone else make stuff for you to sell might risk your good idea be barrowed?

With all the cheap looks like homemade $rap from China and India you have to do what Jim suggests, make to order. The more personalized it is the better. Custom whatever and find a niche.
    Retired Guy- Central Iowa.HVAC/R , Cloudray Galvo Fiber , -Windows 10