Thread: Adding a wire wheel to my old Craftsman bench grinder

Adding a wire wheel to my old Craftsman bench grinder

I've got an old made in the USA Craftsman Commercial 1/2 HP bench grinder, model 397.19591. I don't use it nearly as much as I should. I'm often knocking the rust and/or paint off any old tool or like today an old Daisy BB gun with the cordless Makita drill and a wire wheel. The reason I don't use the bench grinder is because it doesn't already have a wire wheel on it and I am not sure how to correctly put one on it and use it. The width of a wire wheel is different, it's flimsy, seems like a special adapter or washers might be needed. So I'm asking the experts here for advice. I did a google search hoping for a good video but we all know that half the folks out there don't know what they're doing and don't mind telling you the wrong way to do it. So if anyone can point me to some good videos done by people who know what they're doing and safety is a consideration that would be great or just some advice to get me started using my grinder more. Any help is much appreciated!

Mike

Here's a pic of my grinder. I added the quench tray shortly after I picked it up.

IMG_7388.jpg

Edit: I've also got an old 1/2 HP Dayton grinder which already has an abrasive wheel and a buffing wheel on it. I may put the wire wheel on this grinder in place of the abrasive wheel. Don't know that it really matters relative to the advice I'm seeking. Hoping things are applicable to both.
    Last edited by Mike Manning; 06-18-2020 at 12:51 AM.

Hi Mike,
    I've got an older Crafstman bench grinder that looks much like yours. I've also got a slightly larger bench grinder with a wire wheel on one side mounted to the same stand. The motor is 3/4 HP with a 5/8" diameter shaft. The center of the wire wheel has a 5/8" hole in it, and I've got the large flange washers that originally went on either side of the original grinding wheel mounted on either side of the wire wheel. I have had that same wire wheel mounted to that motor for over 35 years, and I use it quite a bit (not for wood). I think the key is to have the center bore/mounting hole of the wire wheel match the motor shaft. I think you would want to select a wire wheel with an outside diameter no greater than the OD of your grinding wheels (probably around 7 inches).
    David

20200617_221127_resized.jpg 20200617_221134_resized.jpg 20200617_221140_resized.jpg 20200617_221933_resized.jpg 20200617_222004_resized.jpg

I'm not sure that I would do it exactly like this, but this video should give you the basic idea.
    David
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JX2jhnpjWto

Blog Entries
    A word of caution. Make sure the wire wheel you select is rated for the speed your grinder will rotate and always wear safety glasses and/or a face shield when using the grinder or wire wheel.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

Good advice above, match your shaft dia., match your rpm's. Then choose the wire wheel...the wire dia. and stiffness will determine how well it does the job you want to do. You may want a softer and finer wire to buff your Daisy and a stiffer and coarser wire for knocking rust off items.

Follow Lee's advice about eye protection, I know a fellow who's life was drastically changed when a wire came off a wheel and hit him in the eye blinding him.
    Confidence: The feeling you experience before you fully understand the situation

I'm comfortable using one on a buffer, with a full face shield. There is actually quite a wide variety of choices for a buffer. A buffer is about half the speed of the typical grinder. Deburring wheels on the buffer are used for such jobs too.

Quote Originally Posted by Lee Schierer View Post
    A word of caution. Make sure the wire wheel you select is rated for the speed your grinder will rotate and always wear safety glasses and/or a face shield when using the grinder or wire wheel.
    Good advice. And don't buy your wheel from Harbor freight. If you read the reviews, there are lots of complaints of them falling apart or shedding wires or not being centered, etc.
    --I had my patience tested. I'm negative--

Quote Originally Posted by Paul F Franklin View Post
    Good advice. And don't buy your wheel from Harbor freight. If you read the reviews, there are lots of complaints of them falling apart or shedding wires or not being centered, etc.
    Any wire wheel will shed wires, I don't know if the HF is worse or not. I buy quality wheels from a welding shop. I use an angle grinder with twisted wire wheels or cup wheels for most wire brushing, a bench grinder for small parts. I do a lot of wire brushing before and after welding.

Besides the very good advice to protect your eyes and face, the wires can go elsewhere too - through the shirt, into the skin on the hands.

Another hazard is it is very easy for the wire wheel to grab small work and pull it hard out of your hand or pull you hand with it. A very light touch with the tool rest very close to the wheel will help along with a very good grip on the work. I hold small work in vise grip pliers.

I find a 1/2 hp bench grinder barely adequate for using a wire wheel since it stalls so easily.

JKJ

Thanks guys! The reminders to fit the wire wheel to the grinder in terms of speed are a good reminder. I'm gonna take a look at putting one on my Dayton grinder. May come back with a question if I'm unsure about the safety of how I'm securing the wire wheel.

Mike

Yeah, a wire wheel spinning at 3600 rpm seems like a bad idea. I've used one in the drill press and it worked ok but shedding wires at speed is more risk to my hands than is worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Yeah, a wire wheel spinning at 3600 rpm seems like a bad idea. I've used one in the drill press and it worked ok but shedding wires at speed is more risk to my hands than is worth it.
    I’ve used wire wheels on various 3600 rpm bench grinders for decades. Although they do throw wires I think they are perfectly safe IF used with the proper protection (full face shield and leather gloves with gauntlets.) I keep the PPE within arm’s reach of the grinder. I also usually wear a short leather jacket with sleeves, available where welding supplies are sold, made to keep hot steel from burning holes in your chest, neck, and arms.

My only advice is as implied before, buy high quality wire wheels from places that cater to industry and professionals - this is not something to go cheap to save a buck. If unable to do it safely, a good hand brush will work fine and provide exercise as well! I probably use the hand brushes as much or more than the white wheels.

JKJ

Be careful grasshopper. They will throw wires into your face so proper shielding is always needed. They can also be more grabby and pull they work out of your hands.
    Bill D.