Thread: Nobex Champion 180 Miter / Mitre Saw Box

Nobex Champion 180 Miter / Mitre Saw Box

oI just received my miter saw setup from Lee Valley after a 7 month backorder. Love the saw - Japanese blade - and the base is solid and decently made. I can not for the life of me figure out how to use the clamps for the iron hold down rods. I’ve played the YouTube videos a dozen times to no avail. Looks like they should work in both the angled and horizontal position. Any ideas or link to a more detailed videoB

Blog Entries
    Contact Rob Lee at Lee Valley. He may be able to help.

I've had the Nobex standard for several years. My biggest regret with it is not buying the top of the line. Well, on to the clamps. The clamps are not high force clamps, but they do help. The lever on the clamp box works in 2 directions, one direction loosens the clamp, and other pulls it up a little bit. I start by pushing the clamp rod as tight as I can, and then using the lever for a little bit more, pulse the locking to hold it. Right now, I don't remember which direction does the locking.

I often use an additional clamp to help hold the work securely. Either holding down or to the back, depending on which seems to be the more critical direction. I'm often sawing larger pieces than molding, so that is probably why I use additional clamping.

Quote Originally Posted by Doug Weiner View Post
    oI just received my miter saw setup from Lee Valley after a 7 month backorder. Love the saw - Japanese blade - and the base is solid and decently made. I can not for the life of me figure out how to use the clamps for the iron hold down rods. I’ve played the YouTube videos a dozen times to no avail. Looks like they should work in both the angled and horizontal position. Any ideas or link to a more detailed videoB
    Hmm, I do remember there was something counter intuitive about them. But I got rid of mine a few years ago. I want to say one of the parts went in backwards from how I would have thought it worked, but many beers have been through my system since then.

I have a (much) older Miter box from Langdon.
    I use wooden handscrews as clamps: the stock fixtures are fiddly, and unreliable.

Between all of the responses I reach an epiphany. Yes the lever moves in both directions to open and close. Yes they do not get connected in the place where I expected. Yes I may use my wooden cam clamps in conjunction or in place of them. Overall though very happy with the tool so far.