Thread: Request for Comments on Idea for Mounting DCS to a Wall

Lightbulb Request for Comments on Idea for Mounting DCS to a Wall

Hello. I opted to completely disassemble my HFT DCS since I will be building a Thien baffle to capture the majority of the dust. My plan is to mount the motor/fan assembly to the wall, but since the stairs to my garage are there, there is really only one usable vertical stud to secure the weight. I had this idea, and wanted to see if anyone might be able to offer some input as to whether or not it's a good one, and I am certainly open to alternatives.

I have a six foot by 3" x 3/4" piece of hard wood on which I will mill a very large 14 degree dovetail approximately 2" in width at the front, and 5/8" in depth leaving 1/8" of wood remaining. I have a 2" thick piece of oak that I plan to mount the motor and fan to which is 12" x 12" on which I will mill the mating dovetail channel on the back. On the hard wood "spine" I will remove the bottom 16" of the dovetail which will allow me to slide the mounted motor/fan just below where the dovetail starts and then straight up to engage the channel.

The oak mounting board will have two 3/8" holes which will have jig-style knobs that will secure to a variety of equally spaced complementing 3/8 tee nuts. That way, I'll have several options as to how high the motor/fan is on the wall. With that in place, I will roll in my Thien baffle / trash can and connect the two with a short 4" hose.

I was actually hoping to get some input before I start making the "spine" and mounting the motor/fan to the oak, but if my description is unclear, please feel free to ask for pictures and/or diagrams.

Thanks!
    Last edited by Tony Gardner; 06-17-2020 at 2:00 PM. Reason: Grammer and Ease of Readability

Yes, a drawing would be helpful.
    But you will have to become a Contributor to post or see pictures. It costs $6 per year. I say that's a bargain.

Blog Entries
    Actually, you can post a pic but you can't view it. But yeah, $6/year is definitely worth it.

I cant picture what you're proposing in my head, but I am considering wall-mounting a dust collector, but in may case to a concrete wall. Instead of dovetails (which I can't figure out the intended orientation, why not take a wider piece of anything - hardwood or plywood- and rip a bevel cut across it, making two mating pieces. One of which is mounted to the stud, and the other to which the DC is mounted. Use as a french cleat. I say this because I have a devil of a time getting sliding dovetails to work out. Plus thats a lot of weight to put on a relatively narrow neck of a dovetail.

better yet, make two post with a groove and use 3/4" ply in between with a stretcher on the top to which you can attach a hand crank to raise and lower your dust collector. think of how a guillotine works.
    Last edited by Ryan Yeaglin; 06-18-2020 at 9:06 PM. Reason: didn't like wording, hard to understand post

Have you considered putting your Thien Baffle in the inlet ring of you current DC? Visit Phil's web site for some examples. PS, check out the bearing strength of a single stud. It's a lot more than you would imagine. A single stud will carry the weight of your blower with no problem.
    Last edited by Bruce Wrenn; 06-18-2020 at 9:43 PM.

I have a Delta 50-760 mounted to a cement wall in my basement shop. I made two big "triangle" brackets that bolt to the sides of the DC and then are Tapcon'd into the wall. It's a little difficult to see in this picture given the clutter around the setup, but you can see the bracket there in the middle (it's the piece with the blue box and light mounted to it; that's part of my homemade bin sensor, which I will probably move up to the rafters).

There's actually a separate vertical piece behind the one in the picture, so that vertical piece is actually doubled-up. The triangles were assembled "off the wall" first so that I could drive hardware in through the back of their vertical pieces. The separate piece was mounted to the wall first, and then the triangle was placed on top of it and driven through on its own as well.

There's a Super Dust Deputy "permanently" mounted under the DC; it has its own little bracket setup surrounding it to keep it in place.

DC.jpg
    And there was trouble, taking place...

I bolted my HF motor/blower to a piece of 3/4 plywood that I think screwed into two studs in the wall. It has brackets on the motor/blower so it wasn't difficult. My super dust deputy is supported by the motor/blower and metal duct when I am emptying the dust box. It all fits in a 18 inch square corner of the shop.

Just a caution, wall mounting will transmit noise to the wall. The wall and stuff attached may even cause some new noise. My DC in the basement is free standing on a piece of foam. It's pretty quiet.

I have a Jet dust Collector that I disassembled and converted to two stage and mounted the motor on the wall.

I made a right angle out of 3/4 ply. I used dominoes, but also reinforced the joint with two large metal brackets.

The back piece of the plywood spans two studs.

It's been mounted here for 5 years and is used daily.

Hope this gives you some ideas.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Bender View Post
    Just a caution, wall mounting will transmit noise to the wall. The wall and stuff attached may even cause some new noise. My DC in the basement is free standing on a piece of foam. It's pretty quiet.
    My basement shop is directly beneath the dining room, so I had to pay attention to noise and vibration. I mounted the blower assembly with rubber isolators from McMaster-Carr. These had a good shear rating, but I prefer to use them in compression mode. There are four isolators holding the motor to the wall-mounted German version of Unistrut. I have another isolator at the front of the motor for balance. The brackets for the front mount were off the shelf at the local hardware store. I drilled and tapped six M5 holes to join the two brackets together...overkill, but I was on a roll.

When the DC is running, it cannot be heard or felt in the dining room.

Since this is my next shop project, I am curious to see what others have done.