Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: A used machine shipping nightmare

A used machine shipping nightmare

To make a very long story short, I now have a used woodworking machine, about 2100+ pounds in weight, laying upside down in the middle of my driveway with scattered parts here and there, after being dropped from a lift-gate/truck bed 6 feet above ground. The logistics company that I contracted with to have this machine shipped is not responding to my email/call. The freight broker, who contracted with the logistic company, essentially told me that he can't help and that it is my "problem because it is in my driveway," but he will contact the logistic company to tell that company to "step up." He wanted me to ask a couple of guy friends to flip it over since he could do it himself if he was standing in my driveway. The driver left in a hurry after the disaster and pointed his finger at the broker as the responsible party.

So, who is responsible in this particular situation? My contractual agreement is with the logistic company, so I think they should be taking responsibility. Or is it the freight company that dropped the crate in my driveway upside down after a 6-foot drop? Though, I did not enter into contract with the broker or the delivery company.

My guts feeling is that this is as good as it is going to get in this particular case. I will end up writing off the purchase price, crate fee, freight fee, and all associated costs of erecting the machine. I have not even considered the cost of fixing the machine, if it is indeed salvageable.

SW

Well the first thing I would do is to write down everything that happened ASAP. Include everything, times, names of the driver and people you called and date/ time of the call. Then, take lots of pictures.

After all that, get the machine indoors however you can do the weather doesn't make a bad situation even worse. Then you can evaluate if it is salvageable.

My guess is the company with the contract is liable but it isn't good that they aren't answering their phone or returning calls.

While you are understandably frustrated, remember to be calm and collected when you do get someone on the phone. Mistakes do happen and it's been my experience that companies will stand behind well documented issues of handled calmly.

Good luck!

Well, I hate to say it, but good luck.

That is awful. Very curious in your resolution. I’ve always asked carriers how much stuff is insured for, and never got the straightest of answers. It’s not like shipping fedex where you pay a premium for insuring something at face value. Atleast, my handful of shipping machine experiences weren’t like that. Every time I’m a little on edge thinking about all the ways some one can make a mistake and severely damage a tool. Best of luck, hope you get them to recoup your loss.

Is it too soon to ask what machine is upside down? And is the crate literally upside down?? How on earth did the driver goof that badly with the lift gate?

What did you pay for the machine? Curious if you need a lawyer or if it will go to small claims court. Whoever accepted money from you for the delivery is responsible.

Realistically, it's on the seller/or whoever was responsible for freight. Also that person has to deal with broker, like to drag their feet. Its lots of fun.

Take lots of photos to document every detail.

Have you opened the crate to assess the situation? Depending on the machine - a 2200 lb. machine inside a wooden crate rolled over and dropped from lift gate height (4 to 5 feet) may have not sustained any permanent damage. What exactly is the machine?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by David Buchhauser View Post
    Have you opened the crate to assess the situation? Depending on the machine - a 2200 lb. machine inside a wooden crate rolled over and dropped from lift gate height (4 to 5 feet) may have not sustained any permanent damage. What exactly is the machine?
    David
    I seriously doubt that.

Man, that's awful. I'm sorry to hear it.
    I hope it works out for you.
    Fred
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

“If you want to know what a man's like, take a good look at how he treats his inferiors, not his equals.”

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I seriously doubt that.

You seriously doubt he has opened the crate? Or the other one?
    David

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Day View Post
    I seriously doubt that.
    You'd be surprised really.

Please share with us.
    David

This is why I throw the trailer on the truck and go pick them up myself most times.

This is heartbreaking to hear...I know you were looking forward to that machine for your shop and honestly I hope it's salvageable.

Responsibility is based on the contract for transportation, both who's name is on top of it and the language in the contract including insurance provisions. It comes down to the signed paperwork.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...