Thread: Starting to build my new router table

Starting to build my new router table

I have a unique need for a router table for a specific task I do regularly when I am fabricating ADA signs. Generally I use a pretty standard router table design but I have been planning for years to build a router table that includes a pin router attachment. This is my mock-up to get started taking dimensions so I can locate and CNC Route the mount for the router motor and lay out the holes for the arm. You can see in the first picture that I have a 3/4" thick piece of Dupont Corian for my table top and I have placed a dust collector sweep that I have used in the past on other tables under the arm to make sure I have the proper clearance. The sweep will collect about 95% of the chips. The main reason for the pin router arm is that traditional bearing mounted to router bits do not last very long when I have to edge prep hundreds of ADA plaques. Its also a real pain to have to stop periodically to lubricate the bearings before they freeze and ruin a plaque. Once the Corian top is polished and gets a coat of paste wax it will be the smoothest surface possible for routing.

Pinrouter Table 1.jpg

A couple of years ago I purchased this pin router arm from Veritas, IMO it is the best quality pin router arm on the market, at least the best I could find. It is very heavy and comes with three size pins with the diameter of the most common bearing sizes. The design of the head makes it very easy to turn a custom pin to accommodate any special projects that might arise.

Pinrouter Table 3.jpg

I saved this fence from another table to use on the pin router table. I will modify the fence using both aluminum and a set of Corian fence boards although I expect to use the Corian boards most of the time.

Pinrouter Table 2.jpg

From this view you can see the back side of the fence. I don't expect to ever use the fence and the router arm at the same time but I am just making sure that the placement of the arm will allow me the clearance to use the fence without removing the pin arm. The pin can be completely removed, just need to locate the fence so it can be moved just in front of the arm.

Next I need to locate the Corian top on a hydraulic table that I intend to use to support the system and locate the hole in the metal top that I will cut with a plasma torch. Just getting started but I hope to get this completed in just a few days working around my current schedule.
    Last edited by Keith Outten; 06-16-2020 at 3:41 PM.

This is super cool. Please share the finished product.

Joe

Very interested in this build. I can't wait to see your completed design. Please keep us posted.