Thread: Cyclone DC drum question

Cyclone DC drum question

For those of you who have a cyclone-style dust collector, and had to supply your own drum to place under the cone, what did you use? Steel, plastic or fiber? What size drum works for you?

Reason I am asking is that I am planning to modify my conventional Shop Fox DC (W1666) to take a cartridge filter and hook it up to a Super Dust Deputy or similar cyclone mounted over a drum. Lots of options for drums, just looking for ideas.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983

55 gal steel drum, attached two 1/2" pipes across the bottom, used 3/8" rod inside pipe as axels to hold repurposed old lawnmower wheels, tie a line on the pipe to pull the barrel out to the chip pile.

Plywood shop-built box. Sized so that a 35 gallon trash bag fits over it. When it is full, I pull it out, put a bag over it, and invert. Pull the bin out, leaving the chips in the bag.

Put a plastic window in the side of the bin so you can see when it is getting full.

I only have a 35 gallon drum and didn't realize how quickly it would fill up until I clogged the entire system with one 90 minute jointing and planing session...

Bruce

Quote Originally Posted by Jamie Buxton View Post
    Plywood shop-built box. Sized so that a 35 gallon trash bag fits over it. When it is full, I pull it out, put a bag over it, and invert. Pull the bin out, leaving the chips in the bag.

Put a plastic window in the side of the bin so you can see when it is getting full.
    Jamie,

Do you have any photos of this setup? I’m guessing the top (open) end of the bag is tucked around the edges of the plywood box and captured somehow so that it doesn’t implode on itself? I’ve heard people mention plywood waste boxes and just can’t picture it in full, but it’s attractive because you can size it shorter/wider than a steel drum if desired to accommodate shop space constraints / low ceiling heights.
    Still waters run deep.

I always thought a old refrigerator would make a good dust box. Build a simple bin to fit inside and chop a hole in the top for the drop pipe. It is already air tight after a little silicone caulk here and there. Put a wireless camera inside to see if the bin is full or not. Plus you can learn if the light really goes out then the door is closed.
    Bill D

Quote Originally Posted by Phillip Mitchell View Post
    Jamie,

Do you have any photos of this setup? I’m guessing the top (open) end of the bag is tucked around the edges of the plywood box and captured somehow so that it doesn’t implode on itself? I’ve heard people mention plywood waste boxes and just can’t picture it in full, but it’s attractive because you can size it shorter/wider than a steel drum if desired to accommodate shop space constraints / low ceiling heights.
    The trash bag never goes inside the waste bin. While the DC is operating, the dust just dumps into the bin. When the bin is full, I pull it out , and put the tras bag over it like putting a pillow case on a pillow. Then I invert the bin-plus-bag, and pull the bin out of the bag, leaving the chips inside the bag.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Endres View Post
    For those of you who have a cyclone-style dust collector, and had to supply your own drum to place under the cone, what did you use? Steel, plastic or fiber? What size drum works for you?

Reason I am asking is that I am planning to modify my conventional Shop Fox DC (W1666) to take a cartridge filter and hook it up to a Super Dust Deputy or similar cyclone mounted over a drum. Lots of options for drums, just looking for ideas.
    I use a 30 gal galvanized steel trash can, an older one with heavier gauge steel than the newer cans from the same maker. One of the newer cans collapsed the first time I turned on the cyclone. (5hp ClearVue). The ClearVue is a long cone and the 30 gal can just barely fits in my space with 9' ceilings. Also, unlike light-weight and bulky planer or jointer chips, most of my sawdust is from a drum sander, bandsaw, and lathe, fine and well packed, so even the 30 gal can gets very heavy when full. I'd hate to move a larger bin with tightly packed sawdust.

JKJ

My system isn't something I created...it's all from Oneida. But it utilizes a fiber drum which I find to be a nice compromise between the heavy weight of a steel drum and an effective size for my needs. Honestly, I wish I had room for a two-drum setup because I can fill that 55 gallon container in a VERY short period of time when processing material for a project on my J/P. The closure system on these drums is also designed to seal air-tight with the clamping action that's used. AIr tight with zero leaks...not even a pin-hole...is a requirement or you can suffer blow-by and impacted filters. That is a no-fun situation, trust me!
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

I use a 55 Gallon plastic drum (Amazon). Inside, I use Home Depot 39 gallon contractor trash bags.

To empty, I tie the bag and put the bin on its side. I roll it side to side as I pull the bag out. This helps the bag get by the taper at the top of the bin.

I'd like a straight sided steel bin, but I haven't found one at a reasonable price yet.

I use a 30 gallon metal trash can. When it's full swap it out for another. Place lid on it, and take to dumpsters when taking off trash / recycle. Lids have embossing that exactly is where you need to cut for 6" piping inlet.

I have one of these 30 gallon drums: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001DSIEL0/

It's the largest volume I could find in something that short. My Delta 50-760 DC is mounted to the wall, with the Super Dust Deputy attached directly below it, and my basement shop ceiling limit dictates the overall height of the setup. (I have a Wynn filter mounted to the top of the DC, so that's the real limiting factor for overall height, and not the DC's motor).

I don't have the luxury of any flex hose between the bottom of the SDD and the lid of the drum, but I do have the drum placed a few inches off the floor on a removable riser. When I empty the bin I unlock the lid, pull out the riser until the drum drops those few inches (the lid stays attached to the SDD), and then slide it out so I can empty it. I don't leave a bag in it; that tends to get sucked up toward the SDD and sets off my homemade bin sensor like crazy. So instead I just place a 40-gallon trash bag over the bin and tip it over to empty it. I then put the bin back under the SDD, hold it up against the lid while I slide in the riser, and then re-lock the lid. That whole process only takes a few minutes, really.

I used to have a smaller fiber drum, but that required emptying too often and so I upgraded to the one above. Not that I can't fill this 30-gallon drum quickly when doing a lot of jointing or planing of course. I would love to have a larger drum, but I don't have the vertical space for that.
    And there was trouble, taking place...

55 gallon drum from Craigslist. Paid $20 or so. Cut a hole in the lid, which seals very well because they usually hold liquid. It's a bit heavy but it's extremely sturdy. I use a hand truck to move it out to the compost pile.

These also make great trash cans and scrap bins. You can get a wheeled base for it for about $35.

Per an earlier thread in this forum, a clear plastic waste bin for $22 is ideal.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/con...6902632CL.html
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-bin-thank-you

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Kelly View Post
    Per an earlier thread in this forum, a clear plastic waste bin for $22 is ideal.

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/con...6902632CL.html
    https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread....-bin-thank-you
    Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for and didn't know it. Solves everything. Cheaper than a 55-gallon drum as well. Straight-sided drums are $30 around here.
    Jon Endres
    Killing Trees Since 1983