Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: remind me again - HVLP (pressurized) sprayable door and trim material

Yes, MegaVar can be tinted to a solid color, just as the Duralaq WB clear can be. At least that's what the BM guy told me when I asked and he's never been wrong yet. However, it likely won't have the same opacity that the white has, so the color on your wood might not be identical to what it looks like on a piece of white paper. I had to have them make several adjustments until I got the color I wanted on wood.

John

MegaVar WB and opaque tinting

Unfortunately I got a different answer from corporate on the tinting of MegaVar WB :

Unfortunately, we have found that we cannot safely tint the MegaVar WB without there being film forming issues. For whites and colors, the Duralac WB would be the only water-based option.

Again, I was asking to remain within their WB products, have KCMA type toughness AND tint to a solid color. Can't quite get all three at the same time. And I'm sure they are leaning on the side of caution because they don't want to deal with customer issues caused by over-manipulating the formulas of MegaVar WB and Duralaq WB.

My kitchen updating work is probably still close to a year out so I've got plenty of time to prep samples. Since I'm spraying doors and trim now with the Duralaq WB tinted poly I'll make up some samples. Then I can test for myself. We always say to do this, so I'm doing this.

We don't typically clean the existing cabinets with anything except dish soap and water. So mostly I'm concerned with the abuse caused by the spatter and heat of cooking mixed with a little dirt and oil from handling. I'll prep a few samples, keep one in a box away from the abuse and lean the others up against the backsplash and beside the cooktop and just let them age.
    Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things.

That's an excellent plan Rob.

John