Thread: Garden Gates, Drive Gates

Garden Gates, Drive Gates

Moongates 1.jpgGates In Shop Reduced.jpgDouble M&T Plus Thru, and Wedged.JPG

We have been busy making 'woven wood' gates and even some infill for doors. We figured out how to get that woven look and have shown it to a select few designers. People that see it wonder how it is done. First thought is how to bend that thick wood, but there is no bending at all.

The garden gates are 6' w x 6' h , and Western Red Cedar is the wood. Frame is 3-3/4" x 3-3/4".

The Driveway gates are 6' tall x 9' wide, each. Massive double thru tenons, wedged secure the 5" x 5" frame members. The 'weave' is all 2" thick materials. About 1,000 1/2" x 3" x 1-1/2" tenons. And mortises to match.

We use a Maka mortiser to make these fabulous square holes. Lots of handling of big posts to get mortises that look as good as these. A semi loose fit, glued with epoxy.
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

Such a great effect those woven pieces!
    WoodsShop

I like it. Very good looking Cedar to match your work. At first glance I thought it was AYC.
    Ive done some basket weave carvings and I never thought about applying it to a larger form like a gate.
    I just might copy your idea. I’ll be sure you get the bragging credits
    Thanks for sharing fresh work.
    Aj

David:

Stunning. Beautiful work.

Still not getting how it was made. Can you go into more detail / pictures of construction?

Does the back side of the gate look the same as the front? If so, I really can't put my head around the construction. I can think of a few ways, but don't think it would look the same as yours.
    Last edited by Alan Lightstone; 06-30-2020 at 8:37 AM.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Front and Back The Same

Alan- Thanks for the kind words. Yes, the front and back are the same. That was the clue that broke open the puzzle for me. That one was a “solid” panel in some doors where the weave was made from tiles. I just need to find the time to pull it all together.
    The first run thru was a five part series posted on another forum. I'll see if I can lift it to post here.
    I want to stay as close to the edge as I can without going over. Out on the edge you see all kinds of things you can't see from the center.
    - Kurt Vonnegut

I'd love to see it. I might use that design on a bridge my wife keeps asking me to have built.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Very cool, I’d like to see how you did it as well!

I assume you've got a lap joint thing going on. Does the back of the gate also show the woven effect?

Stunning! I make cedar gates full time. Been thinking of how to do this myself for some time but could never figure out an efficient method.
    Don't ask me how I know that!

Nice work David! Love the "woven" wood.